BARDSLJR

Another experience with "Cowboy Steak" (bone-in ribeye, thick cut)

Two views of last night's "Cowboy Steak", a super thick, 4" ribeye, bone in. The previous attempt, with a 3" cut, was cooked with mesquite wood, and was quite good. Last night I used post oak, and it was also very good, albeit quite different. I did find that cooking the 4" steak was a good deal more difficult, or maybe tricky, than the 3" version. I set up the fire on one side of the KK and roasted it about 18" high over the fire, offset to the "cool" side, at 400-450 degrees, for about 25 minutes, flipping it frequently, then did the sear on the lower grill directly over the remaining fire. It was kind of interesting that in my recollection, the 3" steak cooked at a relatively even rate, and this one was wild: one minute it was testing about 89* in places, and 5 minutes later, up to 135* in spots, a LOT hotter than I wanted. Thankfully, it was big and thick enough that I managed to salvage some very rare slices for my wife, and there were some medium rare pieces perfect for me. I used the usual salt and medium-ground pepper for rub. Both steaks were prime and the flavor was excellent. Next time....I just got 4 3" cowboy steaks delivered from Snake River Farms and I expect the meat quality to be the best.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

• Like 8

Tony, funny you should mention the sous vide option: my wife suggested the same thing. If I were only focusing on cooking to a perfect rare or medium rare, probably that would be the way to go. Finish on the gas grill over the infrared searing burner. But if I were going to start a fire in the KK, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to roast it over a natural wood/charcoal fire, and the results, flavor wise, were really, really good. I think maybe some of the variability in the cooking - the temperature fluctuations- might have come from me moving it closer /farther to the radiant heat from the fire. However, I need more experience with this cut of steak to really know what I am doing.

• Like 1

I haven’t cooked one of these but would probably do like a prime rib roast. Low temp and smoke to about 112-115, pull it and run the KK up to 450-500, then sear all the sides. Since your wife likes rare, might pull it a bit lower before the sear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 6:15 PM, BARDSLJR said:

It was kind of interesting that in my recollection, the 3" steak cooked at a relatively even rate, and this one was wild: one minute it was testing about 89* in places, and 5 minutes later, up to 135* in spots, a LOT hotter than I wanted. Thankfully, it was big and thick enough that I managed to salvage some very rare slices for my wife, and there were some medium rare pieces perfect for me.

I like this kind of interesting.  The unpredictability of it all and the high expectations that everyone has of steak means it is a high stakes game.  It feels sooo good when you get it right.  

• Like 1

BARDSLJR, something that big I would bring to temp up on a higher level slowly and then drop it down low to finish. Sous vide would be for a nice pan sear. Up high you'll get some smoke flavor and then dropping down lower for the sear with a few quick turns it should do you well. Have a good Manhattan available with a gourmet cherry sitting inside because it's not just about the steak....it's about you enjoying the pleasure of the experience.