Cheesehead_Griller

Grilling in the Garage

To start, I'm aware of the dangers of fire inside a closed garage. That's not my intention so calm down.  It's cold as shit in Wisconsin and I enjoy grilling all year long.  I will be taking delivery of a 32 in February / March timeframe. I was planning to use it right away and do so in my garage until I can move it outside in spring. Even then, I may want to keep it in the garage due to our patio construction project. However, during the spring, summer, and fall I can grill in the garage and have both doors wide open. 

My plan is to mount an old inline duct fan to the ceiling and attach about a 10' flexible ducting to it. I'll then open the garage door about 12 inches and run the ducting over the top of the garage door to the outside. The grill will be placed near the exhaust fan. I figured more than enough fresh air can enter the garage with the door open 12 inches. 

My family enjoys cooking and grilling all year long so I don't want to wait until spring or later to use my new KK. For those of you who have grilled in your garage, let me know how you did it and what your experiences were. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Fan is about 650 CFM. 

I get it. Grilling outside in bitter cold weather is borderline moronic. However, if I could shelter in my garage a bit it would be tolerable. I may just have to concede and wait until spring to place the grill outside. I think the 32 is too big to move in and out of the garage.  

Edited by Cheesehead_Griller

I'm lucky because I want to grill all year long too but I can roll my KKs right up to the sliding glass door in the dining room. Actually once I get the fire going I don't even have to put my coat on check on things. For those who don't know I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and we do get winter snows here.

After seeing photos of MacKenzie's setup, I bought a 16KK for our screened back porch. It turns out I use it about 10:1 or more over the 23KK on the patio. I cook on the 16KK 2-3 times a week all winter long. I haven't yet built the great rolling stand like Mac has, but someday...

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

and we do get winter snows here.

Perhaps just a bit understated...

I've been using the smoker in a 20X24 metal building with 2 8 foot roll up doors on it...and a regular door. 9 times out of 10 the natural airflow keeps it safe inside. I have 3 fans I can operate to blow smoke out as needed.  I've been using this setup for around 15 years and never had a problem. Smoke on, brother!

6 hours ago, Poochie said:

I've been using the smoker in a 20X24 metal building with 2 8 foot roll up doors on it...and a regular door. 9 times out of 10 the natural airflow keeps it safe inside. I have 3 fans I can operate to blow smoke out as needed.  I've been using this setup for around 15 years and never had a problem. Smoke on, brother!

So this is the source of those jokes. :smt077

• Haha 1