BARDSLJR

Technique and recipe adjustments - pork shoulder and spare ribs

Okay, it's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I would share my latest progression on these two projects, for what it's worth: first, as to the pork shoulder: had a very nice cook yesterday, doing both the pork shoulder, which went on the smoker about 9AM, and the spare ribs, which went on at 12, in the 265-275 range. I used a light mustard slather on the shoulders, followed by a light dusting of Dizzy Pig Ghost Pepper rub (I wanted to add a little kick to the bark) and a heavier dusting of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express.

Next, for both the spare ribs and the shoulder, I have been trying to find a way to get a bit more smoke into the meat: one of the challenges, I think, for using the KK is that the smokers are so dang thermally efficient, that one has to greatly restrict the air flow in order to keep the temperature properly regulated: kind of the opposite of the large 1,000 gallon propane tank type smokers that are so popular in Austin- where the pitmasters talk about the airflow and "turbulence". For those type smokers, I think a lot more smoker passes over the surface of the meat. So what to do, if I am looking for a smokier result? I switched from my typical wood- apple or apple and other fruitwoods- and this time used 100% hickory, which has a stronger and more pronounced flavor. BINGO. We had some spare ribs for dinner last night and they were much improved, with a more pronounced smoky flavor.  So, each to his own, (te gustibus!) , but I do like this hickory or using it in combination.  I might give mesquite a try too- previously I have only used it for searing, but I have read that it is quite different when used for smoking only. Stay tuned.

I generally use Dizzy Big Dizzy Dust (their original rub) for my ribs, and continued to do so. I have typically used a 2/1/1 (babyback) or 4/1/1 (spare ribs) approach. For both of these recipes, an hour cooked wrapped is followed by a final hour unwrapped. The last two time, I have left the riibs wrapped for the final hour-greatly improved moisture and tenderness for the ribs. I usually spritz heavily with a 50/50 apple juice/water combination. I have also, the last two or three times, tried a variation in technique, and placed the ribs MEAT SIDE DOWN in the foil when it is wrapped, and cooked them meat side down (meat side up for the first two or three hours in the smoker). I've found that this helps greatly for nice moist , "floppy" results for the ribs. Also, the last two times, I've put a light sprinkle of brown sugar in the foil for the wrap, which leaves the ribs with a nicely caramalized finish. Yesterday I also added a light sprinkle of Togarishi blend spice- a nice Japanese chili blend good for finishing. The results were, according toy wife and worst critic, excellent (I thought so, too). So here are photos of the pork shoulder with slather, then with the Dizzy Pig rubs, the completed shoulders (nice bark!), the completed ribs (yum!) and the spices used.

IMG_2912.jpeg

IMG_2911.jpeg

IMG_2910.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2902.jpeg

• Like 5

PS- I cooled the pork shoulders, cut them in half, and vacuum sealed them. One will be used this weekend, probably reheat it using the sous vide, then pull it for sandwiches and tacos. I can report then whether the Ghost Pepper was a good idea or not. I am pretty sure my wife will not think so. The other half of the shoulder goes into the chest freezer for future use.

• Like 2