Tyrus

A New Technique

So I was always a follower of Steve Raichlen because his recipes and backgrounds for cooking are interesting. Well, searching through his cooks today I found one I liked, Salt Slab Spatch Kok Chicken. It was what I wanted, but I wanted to make it my own as you would in any recipe, change it up a bit. The basic recipe I followed, however I changed out the hot pepper seed for a liquid cover called Truff, a hot sauce with truffle..yum.  I rubbed the chicken with the Truff and then applied the rub as Steve described. I set up the KK with my perforated deflector and placed the chicken on skin side down with a 12 inch Lodge skillet over the top using only a half basket on the 23 on the top grate.  The temp at 325 sank immediately to 290 as expected and slowly rose to 325, there it sat for 45+? minutes.  At this point the breast temp was around 155 degrees so  the skillet was removed. Now I'm thinking that's pretty quick, having an oven within an oven alters a few things, it shortens the time to get there and retains the moisture better, well that's what came about as an end result. Next was to bring the KK up to 350 without any difficulty and it sat for maybe 30 -45  minutes again flipping upon appearence. This is all subjective, because I opened the lid  numerous times to see the results. At the end it was the best chicken, moisture retention and skin crispness I've had. Now a lot could be allowed for the chicken sitting in the frig with a salt based rub before going on the KK, but it certainly is worth the effort if you want to try a new approach. Hey, higher temps, leaving it on for the duration, different meats, low and slow..whatever, it could change a few things.

Don't know if anyone else has tried this, I could be out on a thin limb, but I think the cover retained the moisture in meat and didn't allow it to escape, so the additional browning didn't hurt afterwards and it came out wonderful.  Yours to try, a new avenue.  Oh, the vinegrette was also complimentary, you couldn't do better at a restaurant, trust me. 

DSCF3966.JPG

DSCF3967.JPG

DSCF3969.JPG

DSCF3971.JPG

DSCF3972.JPG

DSCF3974.JPG

DSCF3977.JPG

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Cheesehead_Griller said:

what is with the tape on the side of your grill? 

I have a small leak on that side and rather than prop it up by cutting underneath a placing some Prematex down I tried this, it's aluminum foil. It works for now and minimizes the issue, It still holds temp well so if it ever worsens (which it hasn't in 3 years) I'll address it then. Do you think I'm a procrastinator? Nah, If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my theory.
One last thing, I used dry spices in the mix except for some frozen chive I found buried in the freezer from this past summer that was still good and it all came together. Definitely will make it again, thanks

• Like 1

Another cook, the right side using the skillet, the left without. 350 for 35 mins with deflector. One significant factor I alluded to earlier yet might not had been clear on is, for better and quicker results try heating the cast in advance while the KK is heating up or before you put your food on.

DSCF3978.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 3