Ticket2ride04

Has anyone considered using the KK like an off-set cooker?

Funny thing, I was trying to figure that out after watching a Video from Mad Scientist BBQ.  From what I saw, the ideal thing is to have the heat the same all over the grill and no Hot Spots.  Another thing is with just using wood cooking with a clean smoke would be possible.

3 hours ago, EGGARY said:

Funny thing, I was trying to figure that out after watching a Video from Mad Scientist BBQ.  From what I saw, the ideal thing is to have the heat the same all over the grill and no Hot Spots.  Another thing is with just using wood cooking with a clean smoke would be possible.

I might grab a mediocre piece of meat and mess around with the idea 

Um yes, I tried everything, back in the day. My first cooker was an offset firebox, then a POSK before graduating to a Dennis-grade KK.

I'm best known here for devising the cast iron "smoke pot" that came out of a related charcoal-making experiment.

People complain that cast iron isn't nonstick, yet Michelin chefs use stainless pans easily? It's skill.

Wood smoke can be seriously nasty. Barbecue using wood takes skill. More skill than anyone I know has, or perhaps I'm unusually finicky about how food should taste.

Ideally one has two fires, one to prepare embers, and another for actual cooking with fully developed embers. True wood fire experts use some green wood, but that's getting into Olympic-grade difficulty.

If you want to transfer embers into the KK, that have given up all nasty flavors already, you might be happy. Consider a large fire pit such as a Solo Stove, for preparing the embers.

I had a friend burned out of his apartment, lucky to be alive only because his 70's Advent speakers were hung using fishnet that burned through, making a loud crashing noise that overcame his inebriated coma. I was first back into his apartment with him, aghast at the horror of his lost LPs and .. the smell.

That's what cooking with wood tastes like, if you're not extraordinarily careful.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, Ticket2ride04 said:

In the middle of a brisket cook and just tired brain musings here. In theory, could you feed wood into the bottom of the fire box throughout the cook? Has anyone attempted this? 

current brisket situation 

CB5419EC-C228-4733-BF80-7C21B879D220.jpeg

There is not enough oxygen to have the wood burn with a flame.. This is what's needed to get the flavor profile you are looking for.

PS your gasket is trashed from cooking with the latch not in the second position.. 

2 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

There is not enough oxygen to have the wood burn with a flame.. This is what's needed to get the flavor profile you are looking for.

PS your gasket is trashed from cooking with the latch not in the second position.. 

I wasn’t able to get the lid lined up correctly when you sent the replacement. I changed the tension on the spring to keep the lid closed in its own. I can’t latch it down. 

• Sad 2