David Chang

deboning whole chicken

Actually David some time ago, probably years I deboned a Turkey for the holidays. I started first with a chicken as practice and worked up to the turkey in order to guarantee a workable unit. The purpose was to achieve or keep the bird whole (one piece) so that you would be able to stuff and roll it & then tie it into a roast. It was a lot of work, but well worth the experience because it came out so well.  Done on the KK, it's somewhere in my archives. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Actually David some time ago, probably years I deboned a Turkey for the holidays. I started first with a chicken as practice and worked up to the turkey in order to guarantee a workable unit. The purpose was to achieve or keep the bird whole (one piece) so that you would be able to stuff and roll it & then tie it into a roast. It was a lot of work, but well worth the experience because it came out so well.  Done on the KK, it's somewhere in my archives. 

yes i saw you post. i assume you cut the backbone out and scraped out the bones. theres also another way by which you don’t pierce the skin at all and somehow can turn it inside out. ive seen this done on smaller birds but not as big on a turkey.

Edited by David Chang

It's one of those things you could say is an acquired art meaning it requires practice to maintain a level of skill with some effort. I haven't repeated the process since, but I remember at the time it was a challenge as you well learned. I found the most difficult part was cutting out & grabbing the tendons still logged in the drumstick without destroying the piece. It's far from brain surgery, however it demands a steady hand and patience.....after it's done you move on to the next challenge

• Like 1