C6Bill

Happy 4th !!!!!

Happy 4th to those that celebrate here in the state or abroad for those of you that just like an excuse to have a BBQ party lol I'm prepping my fire now for a brisket. I'm planning on a 12 to 14 hour cook with a 4 hour rest. The party is at noon tomorrow so i'll have time to bake a couple loafs of bread to go with it. Anyways, happy 4th !!!!!! Pics to be posted pater, feel free to add in your holiday BBQ pics :) 

• Like 1

Happy 4th everyone!

I'm doing an "experiment" with today's cook. A local brewery just released a pickle beer (kettle sour, with sea salt - similar to a Gose, with dill.) I liked it and thought "I could brine chicken with this!" An AHA moment. So, I brought some home and the chicken thighs are brining in it as we speak. I did add some onion and garlic powder, white pepper and smoked paprika to it. Will grill some and seriously thinking about breading and frying some, too, since this is an "experiment" after all. Will try and remember to post pics later, depending on how many "adult beverages" get consumed this afternoon! Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The brisket it going well, I wrapped at 5AM. Right after the internal temp got to 3114 😳 And then I put in a spare meat probe and sat down and ordered a replacement from Thermoworks. I’m done with stock probes , only Thermoworks probes for now on !!!!! I do brisket at 235 but up that to 250 after wrapping if I need to hit a deadline

IMG_2837.jpeg

IMG_2835.jpeg

IMG_2836.jpeg

Edited by C6Bill
  • Like 4

Well, the "experiment" was a big success! And, I did end up breading one thigh in AP and cornstarch with some SPG and frying it (cast iron - of course!) You can really taste the pickle flavor.

PickleChicken001.thumb.jpg.ff4fc61717d28a0cc6c2a7199d932ec3.jpg

The rest of the thighs got grilled, along with some corn. Direct, 325F for an hour.

PickleChicken003.thumb.jpg.b33f3075c16bf838e5343a3fd06d95e2.jpg

Plated with homemade potato salad and a nice chardonnay. Again, you could taste the pickle flavor in the chicken. The corn was surprisingly good. Don't know where the supermarket got it, as it's way too early for local corn - about another month. 

PickleChicken005.thumb.jpg.55e12792d35a84a947607e33b6069496.jpg

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! 

• Like 6

happy 4th of july (5th where i am now) but i made candied smoked salmon for the first time. not the color and texture i was hoping for but its edible. i struggled with the cold smoke tube. using pellets but constantly having to relight. i'm going to try bigger wood chips next time like the one @DennisLinkletter used in his yt video, and if that doesn't work, i'm putting this thing away for good. i think i wasted half a can of butane trying to relight it every 15 min..

image.thumb.png.895dd1d600f60e21e71a7f6bac6d2103.png

image.thumb.png.2e8c4884a8d24e11327cc2b729863c43.png

image.thumb.png.988d765b8f25a5031467cd9a5f61fa66.png

image.thumb.png.225a5a7a1b1fcf03d6f66aeac28b5eaf.png

• Like 4

@David Chang - I hear the frustration of trying to keep the pellets going, even if you clean out the tar. A trick that seems to work OK for me, is to periodically just tap the side of the tube with some tongs to help knock down the ash and cause the pellets to fall down into the burning area. The downside is, of course, you're still having to babysit it, but at least you're not burning through your fuel cans relighting it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tony b said:

@David Chang - I hear the frustration of trying to keep the pellets going, even if you clean out the tar. A trick that seems to work OK for me, is to periodically just tap the side of the tube with some tongs to help knock down the ash and cause the pellets to fall down into the burning area. The downside is, of course, you're still having to babysit it, but at least you're not burning through your fuel cans relighting it. 

yeah, when i removed the air pin. i could not see light through it and no air came out after blowing into it so it was totally clogged. 

i don't think i will go back to pellets. when i dumped mine out from the last cook, it started to clump together due to the humid weather..

• Sad 1