5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Good panettone is one of my favourite things.  Never occurred to me to try to make it.  Yours looks great @David Chang

i was gifted a lievito madre in my baking class, which is the essential stiff starter for panettone, colomba, pandoro...and i signed up for a panettone class, but that's not until november. so i figured i might as well try making this thing while i wait 4-months for the next class..

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, David Chang said:

and i signed up for a panettone class, but that's not until november

An Italian would probably whole heartedly agree that there is no point in a panettone lesson before November.  Given the lecture on seasonality that I got when I went in search of my favourite panettone in January, I reckon there must be a law that says you cannot eat panettone in a month that does not begin with Dec. 

16 hours ago, David Chang said:

so i figured i might as well try making this thing while i wait 4-months for the next class..

Whereas I agree wholeheartedly with your approach.  Free the panettone!

• Haha 3

@tekobo my wife follows chinese folk religion (which basically makes me the same even though i have no idea what i'm doing in temple). but  i wonder if any catholics would be offended if i make a columba (the easter dove variant of the panettone) in the middle of summer.

they call this a dove, but it looks to me like the holy cross of Jesus Christ. for a city that is not catholic, they sell this mould in hk, but no where do they sell the proper flour to bake it. so i am pestering my wife who is in barcelona now to look for a 5kg or 25 kg bag of panettone flour to bring as check in luggage..

image.png.d5b9372fbd85d69afe0bd89a98277778.png

• Like 4

Catholics are less offended than most, they are tolerant David...a piece of bread will be something they would generously break with you. A glass of wine to compliment it's direction would certainly be a comfort.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

@David Chang I took your question seriously and devised a test for our Italian friends.  I showed them a picture of your proposed cake/bread.  They immediately said "columba" followed by "Easter/Pasqua".  Test No 1 passed.  I then asked if it could be eaten at any time of year.  They said "why not, but how?" I explained that you were in Hong Kong and had the means to make it.   As a further test I asked if they would eat columba now if I put it in front of them.  They said "yes, but it is impossible.  It is not Easter."  

So there you have it.  A sample size of two not very catholic Italians wouldn't be offended if you proceed as planned but they remain bound by the rules of seasonal availability that prevail here in Italy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

finally got to use my pandoro mold today. i just bought it from Verona, Italy 2 weeks ago–which happens to have invented this bread, but there was only one shop in town that actually sold it..

pandoro is a variant of the panettone. same use of lievito madre stiff starter. same italian christmas time sweet bread.

it resembles a snowy alp mountain when dusted with powdered sugar..

image.thumb.png.91017f245613d77676654d2bedd017af.png

image.thumb.png.f59316fc08b1edd50a38a45a325b0c82.png

image.thumb.png.aad4b3e9faabde45c11b00b44c8cf303.png

image.thumb.png.05e89e76fde16b5ef13f863b5f271efd.png

• Like 4