ThreeDJ16

Flashback (Info From The Naked Whiz)

Maybe I should recreate the whole event' date=' lol.[/quote']

So the wife going outta town without you soon then? hehe It is funny how they keep us from doing cool (I mean crazy) stuff.

-=Jasen=-

DJ, are you going to device a better pully system for flare-up testing or just stand next to the KK when you open it :shock: and get a nice flare-up. You can become famous on YouTube!! :wink:

Make it your holiday project!!

Maybe I should recreate the whole event' date=' lol.[/quote']

So the wife going outta town without you soon then? hehe It is funny how they keep us from doing cool (I mean crazy) stuff.

-=Jasen=-

DJ, are you going to device a better pully system for flare-up testing or just stand next to the KK when you open it :shock: and get a nice flare-up. You can become famous on YouTube!! :wink:

Make it your holiday project!!

Actually did that several times with the old grill, kinda fun, but I don't advise doing it. I at least used some welding gloves.

Though, as for flames, they're gonna be heading your way very soon! :twisted:

-=Jasen=-

Actually did that several times with the old grill, kinda fun, but I don't advise doing it. I at least used some welding gloves.

-=Jasen=-

What? :? I thought it would be a good (joint) project given the size of the KK (which I don't have yet) you could do a nice video on what can happen if you have a flare-up.... :smt045

-=Jasen=-

What? :? I thought it would be a good (joint) project given the size of the KK (which I don't have yet) you could do a nice video on what can happen if you have a flare-up.... :smt045

Oh, I merely meant you would be cooking soon with flames on your new grill - hehe - yeah that is what I meant! hehe 8)

-=Jasen=-

flashback

I started with a ceramic grill back in 2001, and had personal experience with flashback as well read numerous stories of others' experiences.

Last night I was preparing a Wagyu tri-tip to take to a party when I had a bizarre repeat. My mom was watching as I was getting ready to check the meat during the dwell. As I went to the BBQ I was explaining to her the procedure to vent the pent-up heat before opening the BBQ. I opened the damper top, the lower damper, waited a bit watching the air flow, opened the top slightly and held it, all the time explaining what can happen.

I then allowed the lid to fully open, and the ball of flame shot out up my arm to my face. This is when that spring hinge is really worth it, as I immediately released the handle and spun away. Arm hair was singed, turned black, curled over and brushed off my arm. Hair over my forehead was singed a little, but no serious burn. My lesson became more real then I had intended, and an excuse for having bad hair at the party

I guess the point of the post is that even when you are being aware, taking precautions, the power of the flashback can still be underestimated.

This is not a criticism of design, but I think the dome design that improves the heat distribution also requires greater time to release the pent-up heat of a hi-temp dwell. I don't intend this to preach to the choir, but to emphasize to recent KK converts to allow a little more time to vent the KK during a high temp dwell. My guess is that the higher humidity in the air may have kept the KK from venting as much as I expected.

Oh...and the meat was a real hit at the party. But somehow I forgot to take a picture. :eek::lol: