PaulR

First Cook + Smell

Hi I have started my first cook (yeah deej it took 3 days)

However I'm noticing a distinct burnt plastic smell??

What could it be I definitely removed ALL the packaging and plastic straps?

Some plastic got into the charcoal :?:?:? or is this usual???

Thanks for you super tips that solved it :evil:

I'm cooking pork ribs since they're easy peasy and yep I removed the plastic since I found that the rub falls off the plastic to easily!! :P

I added some more wood and the smell is diminished..

Will let you know if the plastic smell added its own flavour :?

Sounds like the smell is still there, just covered up with a more appealing smell!

What are you using for fuel? Lump? Briquettes?

Mine had a slight smell to the inside when I got it. I couldnt really determine what it was. I thought it smelled like tires, not burning tires, just like new tires. Probably from a sealer or something, and being latched shut all the way from indo. My wife disagrees, and said it smelled like stinky fish :eek: Whatever it was, it was gone when I started cooking in it!

Can't say that I noticed any unusual smell on my first cook. Come to think of it, I fired it up for a bit just to see how it worked, without cooking on it the first time. But didn't notice any plastic smell that I can recall. Maybe the cosmetic coating applied to the inside, manufacturing oils, etc. I bet it goes away before the first cook is done.

Sounds like the smell is still there, just covered up with a more appealing smell!

What are you using for fuel? Lump? Briquettes?

Lump, Aussie Blue will never be fed briquettes :!:

The smell is gone now.. (3 1/2 hours so far). I guess the evidence will be in the final ribs taste.... 8)

Yup Paul, mine had a funky smell in it when I received it too. My first cook was charcoal - hehe. It went away soon. I think it smelled like the bugs Dennis burns to smoke test them with - hahahaha!

Bout damn time you fired that thing up! I was about to revoke your KK license.

-=Jasen=-

Latex and Silicone

Latex and Silicone

Got your attention now..

:eek:

The latex additive in the grout like material on the lip of your cooker and the silicone adhesive that holds your gaskets in place will add some "aroma" when heated the first few times. Noticeable in the factory but not much remains by the time they are shipped.

Nothing that a chip or two won't hide..

;);)

plastic smell

i too noticed a very strong plastic odor.

my first two cooks i just filled the small inner basket with charcoal and the KK never really got that hot. tonight i overflowed it with more fuel and got it medium hot (no idea what temp as i haven't bought a temp gauge yet) - this is when the smell started.

it really stinked. hopefully a few more cooks will burn it off.

Re: plastic smell

no idea what temp as i haven't bought a temp gauge yet)

Brett,

Welcome to the club! You should have a thermometer on it's way to you, it's included in with your purchase but ships from the USA. BTW, get that camera out and prepare to prove everything! :wink: We need pictures!!!

brett' date=' it'll burn off. i had the same deal with mine. don't be too concerned about it.[/quote']

I tend to agree after several hours the smell had disappeared completely.

Will let you know on my next cook!

My gen II had that smell to at first, only after I heated it up to over 325 degrees. After each cook it smelled less than the previous. I can't smell it at all now, even after I cleaned it at over 800 degrees. Not a bit of smell. Don't worry, it will not affect your food, its only external to the cooker.

Enjoy !!!