Majestik

ABT's - 1st time

Hey all,

I tried my hand at some ABT's this weekend... it was the first cook on my kamado in... sad to say... well over a year. It was also the first time to try out my "new-and-improved" damper top. Check it out!

img55092ua.jpg

(Credit for the flower-pot-dish goes to Char-Woody- thanks, Fred!)

Anyway, going from memory, I got 15 peppers, lopped off the tops, and cored out the seeds and membranes with a carrot peeler. I chopped up a brick of cream cheese into little bars that I packed into the hollow peppers, and then wrapped each one in bacon, pinned with a toothpick:

img55057bf.jpg

Cooked those indirect for a couple hours:

img55070ag.jpg

Man, I could've made a meal of those puppies! Absolutely delicious. They will now be a staple in our menu planning. Thanks, Gerard, and everyone. :D

BTW, Gerard, where did you find the pickled watermelon rind? I can't seem to find it around here.

--Mike

PS: The sausages in those pix, unfortunately, were rather bad. They had a weird off-flavor and a very plasticy skin. We won't be buying those again. I think they were Arnold's brand hot smoked sausage. Bad stuff. :(

Nice repair job, Mike. Glad the ABTs were a success.

Very few stores in the Chattanooga area ever carry pickled watermelon rind. I finally found a consistent supply at the Fresh Market, which I believe is a chain.

I bet in the upscale area that you're in, you'll find a couple of stores if you keep looking. Do you have any fancy farmer's markets around there? I could find just about anything at the ones in the Atlanta area.

Farmer's market - hadn't thought of that. The Raleigh Farmer's Market is huge... I will have to check there. Thanks.

Porkchop-- I know, I know... the tinfoil was usurped by the the flower pot! A little duct tape to hold the neck together, and I can slide that dish around like it was a big green egg. I think it will do for awhile. :) It actually worked very well. Who needs customer service? I have duct tape!

I did those ABT's indirectly at around 350° for 1.5 to 2 hours. I have to guess on the time because I don't remember exactly when I put them in... and the temperature is also a guess because my kamado-brand temperature gage is full of condensation and seems unreliable. All I know is THEY WUZ GOOOOOOD.

Farmer's market - hadn't thought of that. The Raleigh Farmer's Market is huge... I will have to check there. Thanks.

Porkchop-- I know, I know... the tinfoil was usurped by the the flower pot! A little duct tape to hold the neck together, and I can slide that dish around like it was a big green egg. I think it will do for awhile. :) It actually worked very well. Who needs customer service? I have duct tape!

I did those ABT's indirectly at around 350° for 1.5 to 2 hours. I have to guess on the time because I don't remember exactly when I put them in... and the temperature is also a guess because my kamado-brand temperature gage is full of condensation and seems unreliable. All I know is THEY WUZ GOOOOOOD.

Anyone got any tips for getting that condesnation out? I've got it too.

Re: Condensation in the temp gage

I was thinking about that, too... what if we were to place the gage in an oven at 325°? My theory being that the liquid would vaporize and diffuse out of the gage....

has anyone tried that?

I would use a much lower temperature. Only the probe can take that much heat, not the dial face. Put it in the oven at the lowest setting or just leave it in the sun.

Doug

Alrighty, then!

Kudos to Drunk J for the (slightly) more elegant solution:

img55108st.jpg

Lookin' good. Did up some dinner-size hebrew-national franks tonight. Simple and suh-weet.

:P

I'm baking my temp gage as we speak... at 225.... I'll see how it goes. When the kamado was raging today it read 350... so it can't get any worse.

I have to ask...

What the story on that dome top, Majestik? I saw the tape and thought you were just trying to keep more tiles from falling. Now I see that strap...which looks structural. How did you end up with that kind of damge to your lid?

For those of you who have, or have seen a busted up K, is there any kind of reinforcing mesh inside of them to keep cracks from breaking the unit in two? What abou KK, is there any sort of reinforcing mesh in them (just in case?)

Hi Firemonkey,

The short story is, my spin-top damper rusted solid shut, and I broke the neck trying to get it unstuck. The nut is still rusted solid to the bolt of the damper. So now I need that clamp to hold on the 33% chunk of neck that cracked open when the bracket came out.... Haven't received any help from the mfg yet. FYI - that's a #7 mexi-K.

The new system seems to be working fine.

:wink:

Yeah, that's the stuff I got to repair my broken replacement firebox-thingee. I thought it was a magic powder, but turned out to be an already mixed gooey stuff. I will admit it went on easy and seemed to make the broken firebox a one-unit thing again.

Maybe you could get some and try to put humpty back together again :lol::lol:

Magic pixie dust?

You know, in fairness, I wouldnt mind doing some reasonable repairs on my Kamado, such as recoating the interior, etc. Everything requires maintenance, cars, homes, and even cookers. When your home settles and cracks appear in a wall, or between blocks on the exterior you fix it, right? You dont expect the builder to come remodel for you. Now, when the roof falls in, things tend to change.

Where I take issue is with having to buy the magic beans despite a proclaimed lifetime warranty, provided I am lucky enough to get a reponse. Also, massive tile loss is approaching "roof failure" inconvenience. A few tiles, no problem...just an opportunity and excuse to refresh all the grout and seal it up. But when enough of them fall off that you have to be concerned with pattern matching, now your talking major work.

It would also sit a little better if they would disclose the materials, so we could just go get something locally...just as I would not expect to have to buy spackling and caulk, at inflated prices, from my builder in the above example.

Please dont mistake the point of my post, Majestik certainly has a claim for a new lid. Regrettably, I have no doubt that the damage will be "due to his negligence of not keeping the damper top oiled." nevermind that the thing is one of the hottest areas of the grill, where any oil would immediatly burn off anyway