Breech

Knife Deal

Happy Find

Well, all this talk about knives made was giving me some knife envy. We've had the same crappy knives for ten years or more. I think we got them at the fair. Or Wal-mart. I really don't recall... but they suck. So I was going to order those Wolfgang Puck knives just to have something slightly useful.

img1352mt0.jpg

Then, lo and behold, at BJ's this evening I found this four-knife Wolfgang Puck set for..... $20. So, even if they're not the world's greatest, they are far, far superior to what I've been working with.

They're sharper than Gerard's sarcasm.

img1364wh6.jpg

Color me pleased!

:wink:

Hey, great deal! The special on HSN was $30 for 3 knives. You did $20 for four! Well done. :)

I like sets like the special to keep on hand for gifts. Never know when an event will come up and you'll need something. And the presentation in the cutting board is good.

But for home? I like the set you got! Cutting boards I have. I'd rather have more knives.

My set from years ago doesn't have the WP on it. It's two chef's knives, a paring knife, a bread knife, and a serrated utility knife. Wood block. Shears (I use those every day!), and a sharpener built into the block.

I'm sure there are better knives out there, but they're perfect for what I need. I like the idea of the two little knives in the set Majestic got! That's the size I use most. Just little things to cut usually.

Cutting Boards

Cooks Illustrated and other sources have rated Bamboo cutting boards as the best. SAMS in TX is carrying a beauty 2 sided with SS band and handles for $38. You can find cheaper and smaller at Target. But this one is really nice and large and I have used it and it is great.

I've got a small bamboo cutting board - perfect for grabbing and using quickly (not the big block one). It really is great. Light, wears well, stores easily, cleans up nicely. I don't ever feel like it's going to get angry if I leave it damp by accident. And easily renewable material, too. That stuff grows like weeds!

Strongly recommended! :)

I've heard bamboo is a bad choice for cutting boards due to the hardness that it really tends to be hard / bad on the knives' date=' requiring frequent sharpening....[/quote']

Could be. But the current issue of Cooks Illustrated doesn't indicate that about the ones they tested. They did comment on that with regard to the glass cutting board, and one of the others tested. I guess, as with all things, YMMV.

My local BJ!s does have the knives which I would prefer with the knife block but I am wondering if it is worth it. I would get stuck paying the ship to me and return shipping charge to send these back, probably a total of over $10.00 so I am thinking it over. Wish I had of seen them before I bought these online.

BTW Diamond sharpener

When I clicked on Fast Freddie's link and saw the same sharpener I bought in July at Costco.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but is was not any where near $80.

I'm very pleased with it for taking a knife from reasonably sharp to a very sharp.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=11130

11130.jpg

Model 316: Electric Knife Sharpener for Asian Knives

Stage 1: Honing - Fine 100% diamond abrasive.

Stage 2: Polishing - Ultrafine 100% diamond abrasive.

Precision guides sharpen at 15 degrees.

Resharpen with ultrafine diamonds - knives last longer.