tkline01

First Roti Chicken

tkline - what size EZ Que basket are you using for this chicken? Also, did you find that the larger basket hits anything when rotating?

Thanks!

I was only able to order the 6" basket...EZ-Que was out of the 8". U2PLT has used the 8" and as far as I know he has had no problems with it hitting anything.

I was only able to order the 6" basket...EZ-Que was out of the 8". U2PLT has used the 8" and as far as I know he has had no problems with it hitting anything.

FYI, I contacted EZQue via email about the combo being out of stock (no 8"). They said to purchase the 6" kit with motor and will sell me the 8" cradle when it is available (6 to 8 weeks) for the price difference between the 6" kit and the combo. I just have to quote the email they sent me to show them that they are giving me a deal when I order the 8" cradle.

I'll offer my 2 cents. When I do a rotisserie chicken I want to get some high heat to obtain a really crispy skin. Trouble for me was if I used the drip pan to reduce the flare ups I got a lot of smoke from the dripping fat that altered the flavor. I got the same effect if I didn;t use a drip pan at all. My solution was to start a searing hot fire and scoop the coals along the backside of the cooker leaving a hole open below the bird. This allowed the fat to drip off and down into the ash. Voila no smoke.

Give it a shot. Here's a pic to illustrate what I mean.

chicken1.jpg

tkline - what size EZ Que basket are you using for this chicken? Also, did you find that the larger basket hits anything when rotating?

Thanks!

The 8" cradle will hit the standard heat deflector if used. You can use something else for a heat deflector or none at all.

-=Jasen=-

Rotisserie Chicken

By using the off the shelf pair of Weber Charcoal holders designed to fit the Weber Kettle there is no direct charcoal fire on the EZQ baskets 6" or 8". It also meant that none of the chicken drippings fell on burning charcoal. I use nothing but lump with some apple wood that gives a very nice flavor. A small Webber drip pan just fitts between the 2 Weber Charcoal holders that are set on the KK charcoal holder at the front and back of it. The charcoal holders are tight against the KK two vertial arms that hold the heat deflector when used. I convinced my son that he could BBQ two whole chickens in the 6" EZQ and have really great chicken. He now agrees. I have the 8" also and have done 2 14# Turkeys in the 8" EZQ and it works with this set up and clears everything. The turkeys were great. I cooked at 350* by setting the KK vent system and it holds nice and steady. I have also found that I can cook until the thigh is 180* to 185* and the breast comes out tender and very juicy. With this I do not have ANY blood deep in the thigh joints.

I don't have the EZQue(yet),but wouldn't you get the same no flare up result by using the heat deflector and the drip pan? you should get enough radiant heat from the top of the unit to brown the bird, I've had great results cooking a duck along side a small turkey, both had crisp skin.

Re: First Roti Chicken

I cooked two chickens yesterday in my 6" rotisserie. Underneath them I placed the large drip pan on top of the indirect heat stone. The chickens came out great, very moist and flavorful. The only problem was the skin. It was soft, pliable and definitely not crispy. The temperature was regulated at 350 via my Stoker. Would cooking these at 375 helped the skin crispen up? Or would the charcoal holders be enough?

Rick

Re: First Roti Chicken

We have discussed this at some length. If you cook chicken indirect it comes out done, but rubbery. Cook chickens direct, roti or static. Some folks say the fat dripping on the fire results in an off flavor, I have not experienced that. For those of ya'll that posted on this, with your tricks for making a drip catcher, you might re-post here.

A roti chicken cooked direct gives some GREAT crispy skin!