Duk

Adding Smoking Wood

I was wondering what methods of adding your smoking wood were used. I personally pre burn my chunks till the thick white smoke thins out. then add my meat. Is it something I don't need to worry about?? My wood chunks are about 3 in in diameter and 2 in thick. I use 1 piece---what are some thoughts from others

I have read form several sources that they let the thick smoke burn off, too. I sometimes try to do that when I am working with roasting temps, but not with low/slow cooks. For low/slow stuff, I mix the wood in with the lump, light it, set my dampers, and let it go. When the fire hits wood, it smolders away, and we all know the magic flavor that imparts!

With roasting, I have to get the grill hot before adding food, so if I were to mix my wood in with the lump, it would all be burned up before the meat hit the grill. So I let things get up to temp, then I toss in the wood and let it smoke for a few minutes before adding the meat. There is still plenty of smoke around when I add the food, since the added airflow likely makes the wood burst into flames. (I use chunks as well)

People say the thicker smoke from a new piece of wood is bitter, but Im not sure - At least dealing with higher temps. I think the food isnt on there long enough, and the wood doesnt last long enough to get too overpowering.

I tend to agree FM --I would just like to hear the different techniques that everyone has and maybe their reasoning as to why they do what they do. I'm thinking that on my next low slow, I'll do like you do and put the meat on and let er rip---when the smoking wood smolders let it do it's thing, I just always worried it would be a little bitter ?? :?

Re: To soak or not to soak

Do you guys soak your wood before adding it to the lump? In my old wet smoker days' date=' I would soak the chunks overnight. I guess I'm wondering if that is still necessary on the KK.[/quote']

I use chunks and I have never soaked. I think soaking may be necessary when using a high airflow cooker (gas - etc.).

Re: To soak or not to soak

I use chunks and I have never soaked. I think soaking may be necessary when using a high airflow cooker (gas - etc.).

Ok, cool. I just mixed 4 oak chunks and 4 mesquite chunks in with a full load of royal oak. KK's puffin away on some baby backs right now. http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22396 Smells wonderful on the patio!!!

Thanks !!

In my smokehouse in the shop I always wet down the hardwood mix sawdust. the heat source is a simple hotplate. If I don't do this I get a very strong bitter flavor. With the KK I have soaked and not soaked,can't tell the difference. Lately I'm using Jasens method and use a cast iron smoke box I picked up from HomeDepot. Never enough smoke for me, family complains sometimes. It's good to be King! :lol:

My arsenal consists of:

• Oak
    Cherry
    Apple
    Persimmon
    Maple
    Hickory
    Grape Vine
    Peach

Never tried walnut...Let me know how it does. BTW, Peach is awesome on pork and chicken, smooth and mild like apple. If you GA guys can get your hands on some deadfall around the peach groves, give it a try.

As far as using wood on the KK, this is what I tried this weekend. I soaked wood for one cook, used dry for a second cook. I used the same amount of wood on each cook and the smoke started right away both times and lasted the duration of the cook both times. The dry wood was used on my pork butt by the way. There was still some wood left after that. For me, soaking is a thing of the gassy past.

But all this talk about apple wood, I used that a long time ago with great results on ribs. I'm gonna have to pick me up some and try it again. I remember it gave a great mild flavor to the ribs. M'mmmmmm, excuse to cook more ribs :D

For low and slow cooks the wood mostly smolders rather than burns. When you get to high temp grilling (anyone remember the reason for the book title Fahrenheit 451?) soaking can extend the time it takes to heat the wood and keep the smolder going longer, but you'd be better off with a smoke pot to reduce the oxygen to the smoke wood. A nice side effect is after the cook you get a few more chunks of charcoal. :)

FWIW: Wood generally only smolders 120-150C (250-300F), but rotted wood can ignite at the high end of this scale. Most wood ignites between 190-260C (375-500F). Granted it's hotter in the pit than the dome, but remember we're also restricting the oxygen flow into the cooker to compensate.

More than you wanted or cared to read..

anyone remember the reason for the book title Fahrenheit 451?

Mr Bradbury thought it was the temp that books would self ignite and the combustion would be self supporting.. i.e. bring it to that temperature and it will spontaneously ignite.

I don't think this is necessarily the exact temp.. too many different types of paper ;-)

But Fahrenheit 451 sounds better than 232.778° Celsius, 910.67° Rankine, 186.222° Réaumur or 505.928 Kelvin

It's also the temp of bakers used to call a "Quick Oven"

:eek::eek::eek: