DennisLinkletter

Komodo price increase inevetable..

I've been trying hard to hang onto the original pricing from last spring but everything especially stainless steel has been skyrocketing. I'm also now using more imported materials but two recent events have just become the two straws that broke the proverbial camel's back.

May 1st the shipping companies announced a BAF (fuel surcharge) of $796 and a GRI (general rate increase) of $240 for a 20ft container... Total increase $1,036

This brings the cost of a cleared 20ft container to $4,408 (or a whopping $367 per OTB)

This week fuel prices in Indonesia were raised by 30% causing strikes and demonstrations. This will no doubt increase costs across the board.

Now here's the question to Gen II owners..

How much do you use your lower grill? Now that the upper grill is reversible and can be used down below is it really that important to have the lower in the lux package?

NOTE:

I will discontinue building the Supreme and Supreme Plus packages with the release of the new 19.5" OTB. So if you or a friend are interested in these, now is the time to pick one up.

I, for one, do use the lower grill.

I use it to hold the drip pan for indirect cooks (with the heat diffuser stone resting on the lump basket "handles"), and also use it sometimes for high-temp direct grilling. I suppose there are alternatives to using the lower grill for indirect cooks (like resting the drip pan directly on the heat diffuser stone, or perhaps with spacers providing an air cushion between the two) but, since I have a lower grill, I tend to use it.

As for direct grilling close to the coals, there is very little difference in the height of the lower grill compared to the upper grill used as a "sear grill", but the lower grill is a bit larger and seems more stable.

I think the only time mine was used was when I first got the grill and just left it in there through a couple of cooks. So really, it was never used for the intended purpose. Since then it has just sat in my shed collecting dust. Might salvage it for some other project.

Dennis, I changed your post to a vote to get a quick idea of what folks think.

-=Jasen=-

I, for one, do use the lower grill.

I use it to hold the drip pan for indirect cooks (with the heat diffuser stone resting on the lump basket "handles"), and also use it sometimes for high-temp direct grilling. I suppose there are alternatives to using the lower grill for indirect cooks (like resting the drip pan directly on the heat diffuser stone, or perhaps with spacers providing an air cushion between the two) but, since I have a lower grill, I tend to use it.

As for direct grilling close to the coals, there is very little difference in the height of the lower grill compared to the upper grill used as a "sear grill", but the lower grill is a bit larger and seems more stable.

Me too. I just used it last night. I dont use it nearly as much as the main grill, but I do put it in there to hold the drip pan. I also use it when I want higher direct grilling temps. Last night I was grilling fish and roasting corn, so I loaded up the lower grill - no way I could have done that with the sear grill. I tend to use the upper as an upper more than a sear/lower.

I use it as well for my drip pan /diffuser stone... :)

I have never "cooked on it", I guess you could make it an accessory so people have a choice.

On the other hand I liked the idea of the Gen II that came fully loaded with every gadget available and would choose that version again (you're spending a fair wad so you migth as well spend the extra dollars). 8)

I use mine also. I cook on it and use if for the drip pan. I would like it better without the opening @ the front. :wink:

If you go the accessory route, perhaps you could make a drip pan holder that would be a savings over a full grill.

The Upper/Sear would be better suited for grilling as the "lower" if it had guardrails/sides to protect from losing food over the side.

For those not using their Lower Grills, my brother brought up an interesting point today - He was cooking for large groups of people over the weekend and realized how nice a Lower Grill would be for cooking foil-wrapped potatoes and/or roasting corn on the cob while cooking on the Main Grill. Guess you could put the baked beans down there too! Anybody using the Lower Grill for cooking up sides?

I use mine also. I cook on it and use if for the drip pan. I would like it better without the opening @ the front. :wink:

I like the opening in the front as it allows me to easily supplement smoke wood durning a cook. Of course, it does provide an opportunity for making an unintentional food sacrifice to The KK, but it hasn't happened yet...

Greg

Personally I'd keep the Ultimate as a full featured product including all accessories even if it means an increased price. However, I could also get behind broadening the market with the other cookers by having "barebones" models with only the necessities. It may even tempt Sanny to upgrade ;)

I just used the lower grill this weekend because I had so much to cook. Now I can tell you I have used two fire bricks and an old grill as the upper one too!

With that being said the use of the lower grill is few and far. I put the drip/diffuser on it but could also put it right on the basket.

John

I like the opening in the front as it allows me to easily supplement smoke wood durning a cook. Of course, it does provide an opportunity for making an unintentional food sacrifice to The KK, but it hasn't happened yet...

Greg

When I think of the times I use the lower grill vs the times I need to add smoke wood after I've started cooking, it's clear, fill the hole, or make a trap door....

Greg

When I think of the times I use the lower grill vs the times I need to add smoke wood after I've started cooking, it's clear, fill the hole, or make a trap door....

I've only had my KK for about a week, but after cooking a pork butt on it for almost 12 hours, I can honestly say I don't see myself adding more smoking wood during a cook. I shutdown the KK after cooking the pork butt and the next day when I looked, there was still unfinished wood chunks in it as well as some good lump. I've read that the smoke ring stops forming once the meat hits 140 degrees anyway so I get all my wood on at the begining of the cook.

The "ring" may finish forming at a low temperature, but thats because the meat is cooked, and the reaction which forms the colored (cured) ring can no longer form. The presence of smoke later into the cook will still deposit more smoke flavor on the meat. The ring itself is a product of Nitrogen Dioxide absorbing intot the outer surface of the meat, and despite the fact that we call it a smoke ring, can actually form on a gasser with no smoke wood at all.

All anyone ever wanted to know about the science of smoke rings:

http://www.geocities.com/senortoad/SmokeRinginBarbequeMeats.htm