DennisLinkletter

19.5 OTB survey: High Boy VS Chopped and Dropped

Our big 23" OTB was designed for ease of use and luxury. This is why I built for a target grill height of about 32". No bending over or not much for you tall guys.

I then set the target height of the new 19.5 at 30".. Actually the new smaller OTB is still a pretty good size, it just looks small next to the larger model.

After mounting the wheels on the new cooker, for asthetics I've chopped and dropped it down to a 27" grill height. This will also give me more room in the containers to more easily stack them.

What do you think?

KK-19.5-Tall.jpg

well, I dunno. If making it shorter means stacking in the container, and if putting more cookers in the container makes for less costly shipping, and the price is part of the lure for a somewhat smaller cooker (face it, it's still not portable, and a person can cook small on the big one just as easily as on a smaller one), then make it shorter.

Also, if size is part of the lure for some (available space is limited), then maybe a shorter cooker would be helpful.

I agree that it's easier not to have to bend over, but maybe someone could develop plans for a stable platform for a smaller cooker, to make it counter height. Win win - Dennis gets less expensive shipping and less cost for tile, etc. (passed on to happy customer), and customer can raise the height however much.

But I think Dennis should take advantage of cost savings, if possible.

Not spending much time bent over!

Plus the age factor. We're not all young like we used to be Sanny; that bending over not so comftorable anymore.

So if there's choice; I'll take the tall one. I don't want another Hibachi. Oh the price of comfort.

Please remember that 27 is NOT Hibachi height. Standard dinning room table is 30" so this is just a little under that. AND please remember that this is not a gas grill. You're really not spending much time bent over!

:eek::eek:

I do almost all my "grilling" on the upper sear grill, this puts it at a very comfortable height. Most of all my cutting tables are at 36" . My wife is a whopping 5'2", this would be the perfect size for those of smaller stature. Not to mention who would be the actual user of this model, I would guess for apartments with small balconies, I could see this model without legs maybe in a nice tropical hardwood cooking station. which would make the height a moot point anyway. I voted prematurely for the 30" height before really thinking about it. Go for lower, save on shipping, combine the container with the CoCoCoal(a)

One of the things I like about my KK over my K7 is it is a taller grill height and much more comfortable to work with. However the K7 would be much harder to open if it were set much higher due to the effort it takes to lift the top and the leverage I need to initiate the opening. That spring latch is pure genius Dennis. I love you for that!

I am 5'4", and I'm thinking if 75% or so of the frequent users are male and probably closer to the average 5'10 or 11". I also don't have to consider space issues, as others might.

Has anyone used other grill brands at different heights?

Why not do both?

My K5 grill is actually the same height, if not an inch or two higher than my KK main grid. The K grid is even with the top of the base, while the KK grid is several inches below the lip. Its raining out right now, but I am almost certain the opening itself is the same height, the K5 legs are really tall.

How about the best of both options??

Raise lip for the main grid up on the inside, and shorten the size of the whole unit if the cost savings are significant enough to warrant the change? The rotis mount would still work, since the rack would not be in place when using it. The polder hole would be below the grate, but how big of a deal is that? You would also have more room to make use of the lower grill if you needed to do a larger cook on it - and that is something I would have loved to be able to do on my smaller grill.

I think, FM, that the increase or decrease in height comes from the height of the legs, and the way the cooker sits in the midst of the spider of legs. Looks as if the cooker itself is the same height.

And, the molds and design stuff of the cooker are already established. Easier to tinker with just legs now, probably.

I think, FM, that the increase or decrease in height comes from the height of the legs, and the way the cooker sits in the midst of the spider of legs. Looks as if the cooker itself is the same height.

And, the molds and design stuff of the cooker are already established. Easier to tinker with just legs now, probably.

I didnt say it was going to be a simple tweak :? But I know Dennis would rather get it right now rather than later.

The grill is recessed a few inches into the vessel - you can see it in this thread:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... c&start=75

All I am saying is that if he wants to shorten the feet for cost or aesthetic reasons, but is hesitant because of the shorter work surface, there is a feasible solution to have both.

I didnt vote in the poll, but personally, I would rather have the higher work surface. But I agree that it looks better in the shorter stance. Closer to the lines of its big brother.

Any idea what the weight savings on the shorter version would be? If it's the same height, almost the same weight, and just a little smaller in diameter I'm not sure if being a little more coal-efficient for smaller cooks is enough to justify a 19.5" over a 23" (I'm also guessing the prices won't be too much different).

I do like the idea of trying for a modular design and letting the user decide, but since the legs are more securely fastened than in the cheaper models I don't know if that's feasible (kind of the same as a supporting two 19.5" models from Dennis' standpoint). Maybe make the shorter version but also sell a little pedestal for it with matching tile? Or one made from teak?

Dennis wrote:

Please remember that 27 is NOT Hibachi height.

I've had some sleep since then. Sorry, I thought Habachi were 27 inches.

Just kidding really; I was making a point (trying to be funny. Okay so my jokes are bad).

Guess I'm taller than most; but it hurts my lower back leaning over the kitchen sink just doing dishes. That's 30 inches. For that reason; my next home I'll order with even taller counters.

Again, if I have a vote I'll vote for a taller grill; and if I have choice, I'll purchase taller before lower.

I'm with Primeats on this one. My sewing layout tables are taller than standard for the same reasons.

For me taller is better; long tongs help when cooking down by the hot coals (steaks etc.) The point about about pain in back when washing in the sink is also true. I'm 6'2" and do appreciate the extra height, of course my wife who is 5'6" likes things a little lower but she does not use the KK and prefers thart I do all the grilling & slow cooking. Poor me, I'll just have to suck it up and do the grilling etc.

Just thinking out loud

I do not own one yet......... :) That stated, a possible solution could be to cut the sizeof the leggs and put on an adjustable caster that would a person to adjust to the size they like. You would want it still be attractive and not detract from the physical appearance. Perhaps even removing the leggs and have a quick connect with a caster... Just thinking here....

I do almost all my "grilling" on the upper sear grill' date=' this puts it at a very comfortable height. Most of all my cutting tables are at 36" . My wife is a whopping 5'2", this would be the perfect size for those of smaller stature. Not to mention who would be the actual user of this model, I would guess for apartments with small balconies, I could see this model without legs maybe in a nice tropical hardwood cooking station. which would make the height a moot point anyway. I voted prematurely for the 30" height before really thinking about it. Go for lower, save on shipping, combine the container with the CoCoCoal(a)[/quote']

Primeats captured my thoughts, I voted 27. I'm a buyer of this model (at any height) when its available as we live in an urban condo and have deck space and HOA constraints. I had my wife sold on the OTB 23 until she realized its size and weight and she is right. The comfort difference between 27 and 30 would be offset by the volume/space difference. Of course I'd rather be a buyer of the OTB 23, which is making think of moving to the beach or the country.