mguerra

How to convert your spouse

Originally I was going to name this thread "How to convert your wife" but thought better of it. Please post your techniques for convincing your spouse that the price of admission to Komodo is worth it. My wife still thinks I am considering the Kamado K7 for $1000.00! If she only knew I flipped to the $3000.00 Komodo, she would scream. Well, she's already screaming about the thought of a grand. My thought was to buy the cheapest Grill Dome, convert her, and then get a Komodo. It couldn't hurt to have a little Grill Dome around, could it? But that would be ANOTHER $600.00 out of pocket! So, how have you all convinced your spouse to go for the price? I'm guessing many people convinced them after the fact, with the food. Maybe some of your spouses had no clue how much you spent, that would have been perfect! Ideas?

A Big Green Egg Mini can be had for ~$250. It's probably rather uncomfortable as a primary cooker but could be useful for a campsite cook or some appetizers after the upgrade to a KK. My wife likes the chicken at most of the good Indian restaurants around us because it's tender and juicy, so I just explain the similarities between a KK and a Tandoori. Of course, the spouse is the one who needs to pick out the color scheme for the "yard art" aspect. "Accidentally" overcooking and drying out meals on a gasser or kettle cooker couldn't hurt, either :)

I think allot of us know what you're going through.

Just keep the idea alive. Try and get her involved in color selection, etc.

Maybe a wife out there who was not so sure at the time but sold now could jump in and give you ideas.

I kept singing this is my hobby, and kept reminding her of her ever so important shoes/clothes/purses/jewlery. Hehe-he I know I'm bad.

Don't get the K! Unless you want the I told you so treatment when it breaks, and you're ignored or told nothing is wrong by the company.

Let me say this. The wife is definitely sold now on the cooker. I'll ask her if she minds someone calls her. Maybe we can hook the wifes up.

Tell her a) it is a beautiful piece for the yard/patio.....tell her you will cook......tell her generally there is less kitchen mess.....offer to clean up when you cook. Letting her pick the color helps...Also, by the time you get the accessories for the Kamado you will be closer to the Komodo price. Make sure you do your homework on Kamado company.....based on my own personal experience I would not recommend. I probably have said more then what is allowed here.....do plenty of internet searching on the product and watch the forum for at least 4-6 weeks.

Oh no, I'm not getting a Kamado brand. I think I have read every post on every forum for every brand. It's funny, every brand has its "Messiah" who the owners have a special reverence for, they're on a first name basis with the guy, and they all think their ceramic cooker is the best. Or at least they think ceramic cooking in general is the best. I'm convinced. I know these Komodos are expensive, but they seem like the best to me. I have no problem spending the 3 G's. Convincing my better half might take some doing.

Sigh. As usual' date=' :D I have the answer on my website if only people would just look, LOL![/quote']

Oh, Whizzy... You're wonderful.

You are TOO good! See, none of us can believe that ANYONE would have such a comprehensive site as you. How could it be possible? So, we just assume that it ain't so.

We should know better, knowing our Whizzy. :love7:

My wife still thinks I am considering the Kamado K7 for $1000.00! If she only knew

With the statement above, I have already deduced that you are comfortable with the concept of lying. This is important and I commend you for not being so hard on yourself for not telling the truth all the time. Once you get over the guilt of it all, things become much easier! OK, good. So, Dennis has threads all the time about cookers stuck in garages, stuck in temporary storage, broken and needs fixed, etc. He sells these at great prices. You must lead your wife/spouse to believe that you are getting one of these "garage sale" Komodo's. Easy, eh? Now you have the cooker you want, the wife thinks it's a great bargain, may even brag on you to friends!, and life is good! Now, you will probably go to hell for following my advice. Heck, I may end up there for giving this advice but, my understanding is that we won't need Komodo's down there because the fire is always burning!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Theres always the "its better to ask for forgiveness than for permission" option.

or......

start dropping hints that you would love a cooker and then make it sound like you would be super excited if she got you one for say your birthday, fathers day, Christmas.... If she thinks SHE is doing something great it is much easier.

Wife Knows best

:lol: Well, I have to say I told my wife that I could go and get a functional cooker... One that will do well and will most likely be 1/2 the price. However, I told her there is a cooker I just would like to have. It is the best. I can only afford to buy once, so buy it right the first time. I told her if she did not think we should buy it, I would be comfortable with the alternative.

She responded, you always wanted the King Ranch F150, but settled for the Lariat. How many times were you frustrated that you did not buy the one you want... She stated buy the one you want if you can afford it.

That stated, I was always upfront with her. She knew the prices and I did not rush her into it. This went over about 3 months... When the decision was made, she was on board. Key is to keep her informed and open on your preferences and desire. The more you are upfront, she will come to your side.

Once bought, if your spouse is like mine she will make shit of you in front of others for spending the amount of money, however, the steady stream of admirers will win her over as well.

Johnny Boy: Asking her to participate in the color selection is a good tactic, tried that as well. Can never hurt.

Buy what you want and what you can afford. Good luck to you.

Tim

Once bought, if your spouse is like mine she will make shit of you in front of others for spending the amount of money, however, the steady stream of admirers will win her over as well.

Yep, they do that. But its not quite as fun for them after their audience tasted food that comes out of it :D

Im with Sanny, I always try to buy the absolute best available once, and make it last forever.

I'm with Sanny' date=' I always try to buy the absolute best available once, and make it last forever.[/quote']

:D You're always welcome, of course, to be with me on any topic. Good for me! But we should give Jackie the credit for buying the best, and buying it once.

We can all be with Jackie on this one! :wav:

Now hang on just a minute! I did not lie about anything. It's just that I found out about KK after first looking at the Kamado brand. Since I was discouraged from spending $1000.00 on the K, it did not seem useful to even bring up the KK for discussion. At the appropriate time, I will ease KK into consideration. Sooner or later we will have one.

Now hang on there doc... Nobody said you lied. I simply made the observation that you are becoming more comfortable with the concept of lying, that's all! ;-):-):lol:

Please know that outside of advice on how to cook something or get a fire started safely, most requests for advice will be met with answers that are intended to be more humorous. Some of us even branch into sarcasm now and again! :lol:

Taking a peek at your hobbies, I see that a Komodo is in your near future. Ain't nothin' cheap about flying, fishing (typically, especially fly fishing), or golfing! Soon you can add "Backyard BBQ Master" to your list of hobbies! Welcome to the forum!