LarryR

Amusement Park Turkey Legs

OK Guys and Gals, this is a real fun/great cook! If you've ever been to a fair or amusement park you've seen the turkey legs they sell. If you've ever tasted them you know there's no other taste like it. Well, here's how to make them. I found this recipe HERE

I've edited it just a bit but the original recipe is the same. Works best with large legs, if you get smaller pieces adjust the time accordingly. I mix the honey and steak sauce and brush it on vs. drizzling. Here are some PICTURES I did a turkey breast, turkey thighs and a fatty on this cook too. Between the fatty and these legs it was amazing! Comments in the recipe are his not mine.

Amusement Park Turkey Legs

1 (2 Liter Bottle) lemon-lime soda (Do NOT GET DIET!!!)

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons hot sauce

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 large sweet onion, sliced

4 turkey legs (get some big, honkin’ ones!)

2 tablespoons homey

1 tablespoon steak seasoning

Directions

In a large pot, mix the lemon lime soda, sugar, hot sauce red pepper, pepper and onion. Place the turkey legs in the mixture, and bring to a boil (yes, you are cooking Sprite). Cook 30 to 45 minutes**.

Remove onion slices from mixture, and arrange on the prepared grill. Place turkey legs over the onions. Drizzle with honey, and season with steak sauce. Cook, turning once, 20 minutes, or until a crisp browned crust has formed on the turkey legs.

*When smoking, arrange the onions as directed above (they’ll eventually caramelize and burn. That’s OK,they are protecting your legs). Smoke for 1.5 to 2 hrs, turn and smoke for another hour. They’ll come out so sweet (yet spicy), tender and juicy they just melt in your mouth.

**Like I said, I enjoy slow cooking these babies. So, if you’re using a smoker, cut the Sprite boil time down to 20-30 minutes. They’ll cook the rest of the way in the smoker.

All right Larry - I've been playing poker long enough with guys whose first names are major cities: Detroit, Chi-Town, Los Angels, etc. long enough to know when I am being shnookered. Give it up, how long you been cookin' on that K? For a newbie, you got it down with hints for us to boot!!! lol

Everything I've seen posted from you looks great! If it is beginner's luck, so be it. My sense is, you been practicin' for a bit! ;););)

Imagine my disappointment when today at the fair I watched the guy who was running the smoker dump 25 lbs of frozen pre-smoked turkey legs on their smoker. Reminded me of when I learned there was no Santa Clause.

Going to do a homemade batch of these tomorrow just to "right" things.

Re: Amusement Park Turkey Legs

Okay, so I went to Disneyland and saw turkey legs all over. They looked delicious so I tried one. Pretty good. So I found old post from LarryR.

I want to do this. LarryR, do you still stand by this recipe you posted? It is an old post. Have you changed anything or figured out any new tips? Anyone else have any suggestions on Turkey legs? Maybe next weekend or within a few weeks I want to try this. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. This is a great forum. Thanks Dennis Linkletter and KomodoKamado!!!

MadMedik

Damn, forgot about this thread. I think the only tweak I've made is cutting down the boiling time. By how much, don't recall. They're very good though . . . now I'm going to have to do some this weekend. Damn you MadMedik!

While that recipe sounds awesome, I have a lazy person's recipe. Disney World in FL turkey legs didn't have any sweet taste that I noticed (but that was many years back), just salty smoke goodness. So I used this basic smoke season from "Home Book of Smoke Cooking Meat, Fish & Game". It is something I always keep on hand and love it on poultry anyway. So after using it and smoking 4hrs or so till tender at 250-275, everyone loved the turkey legs and that became our standard, lazy way of making them.

Basic smoke season is on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=338

Man, you had to bring up corn dogs. Now if someone could get me a good corn dog (Cozy dog) recipe, I would be very grateful. For the life of me, I can't make a decent one and absolutely love them (fresh not frozen crap). Not a single place in my city makes fresh either.