cruzmisl

Pork butts on roti?

Anyone know this guy :roll:

I used to know a guy that went by the name Curly. Figured he was in prison or ran off with his cousin or something :P

I used to think I should have the rotis, but anymore I dont think I would ever use it. The KK cooks evenly enough that I can get even browning and cooking right on the upper grill. You can see the last chicken i cooked in the everyday cooking pics thread, Its evenly golden and perfectly moist and tender, and that was done sans rotis - just drp it on the upper grate and come back in 45 minutes to rotate it if needed. And there is no bracket cleanup either :D

Yeah, I'm out now! I figured after 2 years away there'd be someone overtake my post count (other than DJ). Either I talk my head off or when I left everyone got depressed and barely posted :eek:

Honestly, the roti looks cool, and seems to be a hit with company...but it's just a toy that isn't really needed when you have a ceramic cooker.

I've got plenty of toys that I don't use often though, so don't let me put a damper on your desire to get another cool toy ;)

Welcome back Curly [nyuck, nyuck]

Regarding the butt on the Roti - the downside of having to keep it all tied/wrapped up is the loss of bark, it all wants to stick to whatever is holding the meat together. I have not used the roti for a butt, but I did do one that was boneless and had a net on it, which destroyed most of the bark.

I suppose no one NEEDS a roti, I got it 'cause I could (what other brand "ceramic" owner can say that?)

Yeah, maybe I'll pass on the butts in the roti. I'm having 15 people over for Fathers day and thats all I need is a butt falling out and being forced to buy pizza.

I use my Roti about once a month and love it for chicken.

Where's your recipe...I'd love to give it a shot. I love chicken...especially ceramically cooked chicken. And it's about time I got some more use of that toy :D

Welcome Home Curly!

Hey Curly.. Great to have you back. Word on the street is that you had left the cabin to take some kind of missionary position in Cuba!

I still defend the roti for it's self basting capabilities.. It also must heat therefore cook the bird more evenly.

The best, most crispy chicken skin I've ever eaten was off rotisseries roadside in Thailand. Even if you turn the bird you still have cooked it from only two directions/positions.

Another great trick for breasts is to firmly compress them with your hand just before you put it on. This will make the thickness of the breast more uniform, so it cooks more evenly.

Curly's back!

:smt041:lol::lol:

Re: Welcome Home Curly!

Hey Curly.. Great to have you back. Word on the street is that you had left the cabin to take some kind of missionary position in Cuba!

I still defend the roti for it's self basting capabilities.. It also must heat therefore cook the bird more evenly.

The best, most crispy chicken skin I've ever eaten was off rotisseries roadside in Thailand. Even if you turn the bird you still have cooked it from only two directions/positions.

Another great trick for breasts is to firmly compress them with your hand just before you put it on. This will make the thickness of the breast more uniform, so it cooks more evenly.

Curly's back!

:smt041:lol::lol:

I went to Cuba on a missions trip, nothing to do with the missionary position :eek:

I love rotisery chicken from the grocery store, but mine is different somehow. It's always good off the KK no matter how I've cooked it though...always the juiciest chicken I've eaten.

And I've always been a believer that a turning chicken had to be more evenly cooked than a sitting chicken...therefore I bought the roti. Maybe I just ain't holding my mouth right or something. Or maybe my non-roti chicken is just a whole lot better than the rest of ya'lls non-roti chicken is :D