cruzmisl

My prototype draft door handle.

Well, don't blame the looks on my friend. He only did what I told him to do :)

I got some stainless springs designed for BBQ handles off the net and thought I'd give it a try. The wood is nice but the new firebox heats the hell out of the draft door area. I think it will look pretty good once its installed. Actually, any hunk of stainless looks good to me. The true test is to see if it works. I just got home from work so I'll give it a whirl in the am.

Good job! Aesthetically I think I'd consider painting just the spring section black on a black cooker to help break up the stainless wall of the lower draft door, but I'd leave the nub and the shaft stainless. I think Rustoleum has a high temp spray paint that would probably be perfect, assuming, of course, that the spring is still removable. But then again there's a good reason I'm not a decorator and my wife picks out my clothes so what do I know about taste! :lol:

Either way a nice looking solution and glad things stayed cool for you.

Thanks!

The stainless steel spring is welded to the stainless rod which was then tacked to the door. The spring itself is not welded to the damper to minimize heat transfer. It was actually amazing the handle was cool but the heat emanating from the holes was pretty darn hot.

The black paint idea is interesting but it can't be disassembled without grinding and cutting. Having said that, I'm always concerned with painting stuff like this. Every time I do, it peels or chips. Given the harsh conditions I think leaving it raw is best. I'd consider powder coating it but I had the guy redo it once already and I'll be eating the handle if I ask him to redo it again :)

Draft door is shiny because of Barkeepers Friend :)

Follow thru...

Trust me, there is nothing I love more than a new idea that makes or has the potential to make KKs better.. The spring behind the airflow dial is a home run and I'm sending them out to ALL my previous customers along with new knobs and a larger, gentler rear spring.

I'm playing with this wound spring design and also realized the bolt which conducts heat to the end of the handle could be terminated at the base. You can see this on the coil on the right..

IMG_2462.jpg

It's obvious that lots of heat comes blasting thru the dials holes.. I just made up this lil' "heat shield" modification for the ash screen.. I'll give it some heat this week and see how well it does..

IMG_2458.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg