cruzmisl

Smoke pot?

thick walls hold and reflect more heat into the wood

That pot looks like it is thin-walled metal. I would assume it wouldn't work as well as a thick-walled cast iron pot in making sure the wood inside doesn't catch fire (i.e.' date=' only smolders).[/quote']

It is thin-walled compared to cast iron - there is no doubt. But this really doesn't cause any problem. I believe what prevents the wood from catching fire is the absence of oxygen (tight seal and small holes toward the fire, i.e. bottom).

Many people use wood chips in aluminum foil to smoke with - can't get much thinner-walled than that.

gy

I think the thick walls hold and reflect more heat into the wood causing the volatiles deeper inside to turn to vapor and burn off.. these initial volatiles are what have an acrid flavor, so we want to heat the wood quickly and burn them off.. they are the more white smoke..

You will also notice the blue smoke does not burn your eyes like the initial stuff..

;);)

I did get to try my 2 quart cast iron dutch oven "smoke pot" in our new KK this weekend. It fits fine, and worked very well.

We were actually pressed for time, so I started my fire under Guru control before going out for the day, with the smoke pot set up but on the main grill, with a heat deflector between it and the fire. Then when we got home that evening, I quickly moved the smoke pot down onto the fire, and put on 25 lbs of butt and shoulder to cook overnight and into the next day.

Because the KK is tighter than my previous cooker, and better insulated, there was much less airflow, leading to thicker, moister smoke. Great smoke ring penetration, and the same clean flavor we expect from a smoke pot.

(I had wondered if I would actually go for broke, making all this meat for a party as my first cook on the KK, or using my tried-and-true old cooker. Once we unpacked the KK, there was really no looking back.)

10135_165594879975_588449975_3676872_217777_n.jpg

It sure looked like I could have used the deflector as intended.

The smoke pot picture is actually from my "dry run" rather than my first cook. You can tell because I'm using lump charcoal, not extruded coconut. As it happens, I have a second charcoal basket on order with Dennis, to make it easier to switch back and forth between these two fuels.

10135_165594889975_588449975_3676873_3244962_n.jpg

I actually used my 16" Home Depot plant saucer, wrapped in aluminum foil (shown above), as a deflector on the lower grill. It is a slick, low-rent solution. Just wrap the grease in the foil, discard, and go again, no SS drip pan to clean.

I admired Dennis's drip pan and heat deflector separates, but I haven't tried them yet. What I'm really antsy to do is to load up his stunning rib rack!