Hitman

Chicken Rocket

Saw another thread on this product elsewhere, but couldn't find it in this section. The Chicken Rocket is still being offered, and I just ordered one, had my first cook with it last night. Here's a pic:

Ts1b5pKr.jpg

It's a sturdy little device, certainly more substantial than an aluminum beer can, weighs about three pounds. No way your chicken is going to fall over while impaled on this bad boy ! Also has a nice reservoir for your beer, or other liquid of choice.

Anyway, I recommend it highly. Cooked a 7 pound oven roaster at moderate heat in about 2 hours. Bird came out very juicy.

See details in the Cooking Pics section.

I have a device that is similar to this. It is a heavy wire gauge device (SS) and the beer can fits in the center to provide moisture during the cook. This particular device was given to me while I had my gas grill (Ducane). One of the hints was to put an onion or potato in the neck cavity so that the chicken would be sealed at the top. This would allow for the chicken to "steam" from the inside and grill on the out. Worked great! Although I have not used it since getting the KK! :lol: Even my spatchcock chicken comes out juicy on the KK... 8)

I have a device that is similar to this. It is a heavy wire gauge device (SS) and the beer can fits in the center to provide moisture during the cook. This particular device was given to me while I had my gas grill (Ducane). One of the hints was to put an onion or potato in the neck cavity so that the chicken would be sealed at the top. This would allow for the chicken to "steam" from the inside and grill on the out. Worked great! Although I have not used it since getting the KK! :lol: Even my spatchcock chicken comes out juicy on the KK... 8)

Kewl idea! 8)

I have a device that is similar to this. It is a heavy wire gauge device (SS) and the beer can fits in the center to provide moisture during the cook.

I have the same device, which I haven't used in ages. I found it in the Walnut Creek, CA Barbeques Galore. More interestingly, I also saw a curious thing there called a Green Egg, which brought me down a long and winding road (KoFF! KoFF! :roll:) leading here, to our beautiful Komodo which I'm flying home to see tomorrow.

I have a device that is similar to this. It is a heavy wire gauge device (SS) and the beer can fits in the center to provide moisture during the cook.

I have the same device, which I haven't used in ages. I found it in the Walnut Creek, CA Barbeques Galore. More interestingly, I also saw a curious thing there called a Green Egg, which brought me down a long and winding road (KoFF! KoFF! :roll:) leading here, to our beautiful Komodo which I'm flying home to see tomorrow.

ah, yes. I know that road well :)

From experience, that is gonna be one long plane ride!

Re: Chicken Rocket

Everyone seems to have a positive reaction with this type of device and similar items. Why does the Naked Whiz say they are useless in his review of beer can chicken? His test seems conclusive and I never bothered to look into the items with any seriousness.

As far as I remember he found that it never gets hot enough to boil the fluid inside the can because the chicken shields/insulates the can from heat. Maybe the big heavy one above can absorb enough heat from below to get to 212º

;)

Everyone seems to have a positive reaction with this type of device and similar items. Why does the Naked Whiz say they are useless in his review of beer can chicken? His test seems conclusive and I never bothered to look into the items with any seriousness.

As far as I remember he found that it never gets hot enough to boil the fluid inside the can because the chicken shields/insulates the can from heat. Maybe the big heavy one above can absorb enough heat from below to get to 212º

;)

That may be true, but that's even more of an issue for a flimsy aluminum beer can. I'm not convinced that the liquid has to boil. I just notice that the amount of liquid is greatly diminished. It's going somewhere!

The acid test for me is the cooking time. If it is significantly reduced, I'd say it works.

Before I stick my neck out too far, maybe I should read the Naked Whiz review!

heat the fluid to vapor temps and cook the birdy faster..

That may be true, but that's even more of an issue for a flimsy aluminum beer can. I'm not convinced that the liquid has to boil. I just notice that the amount of liquid is greatly diminished. It's going somewhere!

The acid test for me is the cooking time. If it is significantly reduced, I'd say it works.

Before I stick my neck out too far, maybe I should read the Naked Whiz review!

My post was about the wire/rod bird holders with an aluminum can inside... I fully understand why the one you have would work and also be able to hold, heat the fluid to vapor temps and cook the birdy faster..

He probably only got as far as their "theme song" :):

http://www.chickenrocket.com/Chicken%20Rocket.mp3

I have yet to try beer-can chicken but I'll offer my $0.02 anyway. The paint and coatings on the beer cans are probably OK up to boiling but I just don't want to find out so I'd much prefer something like the Rocket to a beer-can whether held in a wire frame or free-standing. But the Rocket is made of cast-iron and iron+water+heat=rust. I'd be curious as to people's experience. If I use even a heavily seasoned cast-iron pan for drips on a low-'n'-slow I will end up with at least a few rust spots to clean and re-season. When I take the plunge, I think I'll get one of the stainless units similar to the rocket.

I agree with the comments that if there is less liquid at the end than the start, the beer is doing the trick. There is no need for it all to boil away - in fact I'd be worried if it were all allowed to boil away. Of course this suggests that many research experiments will need to be conducted to determine the optimum beer-for-chicken:beer-for-cook ratio.

As to paths taken, I'm a number of steps behind Dave on the BBQ Galore -> BGE discovery -> internet research -> K -> ...... path but I'm glad I'm on it.

Wrangler, you forgot to tell us what a little rust hurts.

I've used my mouth to feed rusty hog rings to hog ring pliers for years now. :eek:

Maybe like H1N1, I'm so old I'm immune!!! I'm in that category of having survived 3 pandemics so don't qualify for H1N1 flu shot..... Yikes!!!

Isn't it good for iron poor blood or something? :D

Wrangler, you forgot to tell us what a little rust hurts.

I've used my mouth to feed rusty hog rings to hog ring pliers for years now. :eek:

Maybe like H1N1, I'm so old I'm immune!!! I'm in that category of having survived 3 pandemics so don't qualify for H1N1 flu shot..... Yikes!!!

Isn't it good for iron poor blood or something? :D

I think it's what put the lead in my ass!!! :lol: