mguerra

Thanksgiving 2009

If you really like peat, try Ardbeg. Not widely available in the States, but I have seen it from time to time. I discovered it in the Scots Whisky shop in the Copenhagen airport (a GREAT place to browse...)

However my vote for all time great sipping Scots is the Lagavulin 1991 Distiller's Edition!

Mike

New to Scotch

I'm relatively new to Scotch, read-up on the bottles you guys list and they sound awesome! I'll have to branch out. Right now I have a bottle of Macallan 18 and 15 open, that's what I'll be enjoying post meal with a good stogie.

It's the quiet before the storm here. Enjoying my coffee, watching sports center and planning my attack for the day, lots of food to cook. SO got all her baking done yesterday - 6 pumpkin pies, 2 pumpkin cheesecakes, persimmon (sp?) cookies and pecan squares. Kitchen smells awesome . . .

Success

Well, the apple brined turkey was a smash hit! I cooked it in a roasting pan with a shelf in it and caught all the juices and drippings for gravy. The gravy had a real shot of pecan smoke flavor, which several people really liked. Others preferred some "normal" gravy we also made. The finish temp was 168 in the thigh, and that was thoroughly cooked without being at all overcooked. So thanks to the Weber forum for the recipe. Breast was quite moist, not the least bit dry, thanks to the 42 hour brining I suppose. I also did a bonus breast, injected with Creole Butter marinade, which was also super. Cooking time was pretty quick, about 3 plus hours at 350 degrees. I held these birds wrapped in foil, toweled and coolered for about 4 hours, and they were still quite hot, I'm sure above the safe limit. I'm fairly cavalier about holding beef and pork after cooking, but not poultry. One great thing about the KK and the CyberQ is the ability to achieve and hold a definite temperature much more reliably than an electric oven. I'm sure lots of folks have had Thanksgiving troubles getting the bird done properly and on time in an oven. We sure have in the past; not with KK! I'll probably do turkey more often, after this good success. So for those of you who did KK turkeys, how did you all come out?

Re: Success

So for those of you who did KK turkeys' date=' how did you all come out?[/quote']

I thought I did two turkeys, but I can't find the pictures. Must be the nog I drank. I dreamed that I rubbed them with a light coat of mayo in, out, and under. Then put lots of salt and pepper on the mayo. In my dream they sure were a nice bronze color, juicy, and scrumptious.

300/165-175.

Ah "What a dream"

Both birds turned out great, gravy was a hit, probably a personal best. This year I roasted three legs, two necks, onions, carrots, celery and garlic and then put it into the stock pot, damn good stock.

Had 20 guests for dinner and overall it was a great success. However, when the SO and I finally hit the bed last night we agreed we're going to someone elses (sp?) house next year, too much work. I'll do a bird for us to get our Turkey fix.

Still have a house full of guests, in-fact they're in the kitchen eating turkey, stuffing and gravy.

I'll update pictures later once this hangover eases off :(

How about a mini-rant: if you're a guest in someone's home for Thanksgiving and your sons and their friends deposit their empty beer bottles and cigerette butts all over your hosts patio and you see your host in the backyard picking up after them, DO NOT come out and say, "would you mind putting those bottles in a bag for me, I recycle them" and then walk away. Some people . . .

Sick

Bummer. I caught a cold and while I could have probably done fine with sufficient application of Dayquil, I figured that I shouldn't give the gift that keeps giving to my relations so sent my wife and daughter off to the feast.

But I did light the coconut for first one neighbor and then another to cook their birds and had a nice visit and quick bite with one of them before crashing early.

And while my brother-in-law may be a great guy, I'll take my bird over his Weber and Kingsford method any day. :)

Fetz, I humbly suggest you take as much time as necessary to research and understand how DNA and RNA work. Once you fully understand this, on a biochemical level, you will realize that there is NO possibility that this code could have occurred by chance. From that point on, reason and natural law will lead you to the inescapable conclusion. I have never seen that website before. I used that link, btw, simply because it gave a quick and concise explanation of the fraudulent "science" surrounding the Piltdown scandal. It is the prototypical example of faking science for whatever purpose. Interestingly, however, and ironically, both the Piltdown and global warming frauds share a common thread. Both hoaxes serve(d) the purpose of denying God and promoting secular humanism.

The sad and bitter reality in both cases is that lies and falsehoods were/are held out as science, which, properly conducted, is an objective pursuit of pure truth! Scientists being imperfect humans, this, I suppose, is not unexpected.

Fetz' date=' I humbly suggest you take as much time as necessary to research and understand how DNA and RNA work. Once you fully understand this, on a biochemical level, you will realize that there is NO possibility that this code could have occurred by chance.[/quote']Don't waste your time on me, there are certainly plenty of smarter, more educated experts in this field that could use your insight.

I also find it quite interesting that numerous studies have determined that the higher the IQ and/or the more education one has obtained has an inverse relationship to belief...

"Religion has run out of justifications. Thanks to the telescope and the microscope, it no longer offers an explanation of anything important."

-- Christopher Hitchens

I suspect I should let this go now.

Re: LarryR's Cook

PICTURES

Got two birds in the brine this morning at 8:00 a.m. for a 36 hour soak. Both birds are in the 18 lb range. One is enhanced (one of our guests brought it over) and one natural. At 36 hours I'll rinse and let dry in the fridge overnight. And yes, that's a Homer's Bucket from Home Depot, lol.

Great pics...LOVE that crispy skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Larry, they DO look pretty!

I did an imaginary bone in turkey breast on Friday, brined, using the Cook's Illustrated recipe for orange and rosemary (with some hot pepper flakes) in butter under the skin.

I confess, it wasn't on the cooker, so I guess it's ok it was imaginary.

Nevertheless, it was the most incredible and moist turkey I've ever made. C's I recommends a 3-6 hour brine on a breast (half cup table salt to a gallon of water). Any more, and C's I says it'll be salty. Don't know if that's true or not. I added about half a cup of brown sugar, and brined about 4 hours. Let dry overnight in the frigerator, then rubbed the butter and herb mix under the skin before roasting. It took about an hour and a half to cook.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing!! I highly recommend!! I'm sure it would be even more wonderful (if such a thing were possible) on a cooker.

There were 3 of us, and we could have eaten most of the 6 lb breast, I bet! That recipe's a keeper!

In fact, I'm going out tonight to find another breast, to keep in the freezer for later this season. Mmm!

Larry: Your birds looked beautiful! I'll have to give the soup recipe a shot with the remaining bird leftovers that I didn't dump some Sweet Baby Ray's on.

mguerra: I liked the looks of your recipe, I'll have to give it a shot next time I do turkey.

Sanny: Isn't Cook's Illustrated awesome? I love that resource.

Thanks for sharing all, hope you had a wonderful day!

Here's our Thanksgiving bird.

Done with Beeps' modification of the Cooks Illustrated Herb paste, then cooked with the Mad Max Method for gravy.

Going in the KK:

1XzlUi.jpg

At the flip, halfway:

1XzvSS.jpg

It was getting quite dark when finished, and the guests were ravenous, so we ate an imaginary bird. Raided the cellar though, and washed it down with these:

1XzKQJ.jpg

Cheers,

Mike

Attached is a picture of my 17.5 lb Thanksgiving turkey done on the KK. I didn't post it at the time because I didn't want to get beat up for stuffing it and then I forgot I had the picture. But in case there are any other turkey stuffers in KKland, it came out great. I trussed the legs up high over the breast instead of in a traditional horizontal position and I think it contributed to a more even cooking of the breast and thigh. I air dried it in the frig for 24 hours - the skin was super crispy!!

aL0jS.jpg

Thanks, Conodo. I was really pleased with it. I set the Stoker at 325 and it took just over 4 hours, which was pretty much the recommendation on the package for a stuffed turkey of this size. It was interesting watching the progress of the breast and thigh probes during the cook since I was following the MadMax threads on the egghead forum about icing the breast. The thigh of my turkey started out 10 degrees colder than the breast but it caught up after 2 hours and then started to pull ahead. I took it off the KK at 158 breast and 168 thigh. The pop up in the breast was already up. It was a fresh turkey I purchased at my local market - I didn't recognize the brand but I recall it had the word Omaha in it. I used Royal Oak charcoal without any extra smoke materials. I didn't notice a smoke flavor in the stuffing but the drippings were definitely smokey and it made an excellent gravy. I'm definitely not going to limit this cook to once a year anymore.

Susan

Am I missing something?

I didn't post it at the time because I didn't want to get beat up for stuffing it and then I forgot I had the picture.

aL0jS.jpg

I can't imagine cooking a turkey with out stuffing.. I was under the impression that as long as you stuff just before you cook and then un-stuff ASAP after the cook alz well..

Am I missing something?

I frequently do living outside the States for so long..