LarryR

What's going on your KK Memorial Weekend 2010?

3 Days off cooking and adult beverages after this month I really need it. Here's what it's looking like for me as of Thursday evening

Friday evening

Filets

Grilled Veggies

Saturday (BBQ at my Buddies on his new Stumps Smoker)

Ribs

Chicken

Fatty

Brats

Oysters

Sunday

Hoping to find a nice brisket

The Reds, Lite and Sam Adams will be flowing too :) Will have beautiful weather all weekend ranging from 71 - 87 Fri - Mon.

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend.

long story

This buddy of mine is fixated on cooking with gas. Every so often we go over there and he cooks a tenderloin or filets on his Ducane gasser. He thinks he is serving us the finest meal, and it is just awful. I can barely choke down this flavorless ruination of a fine piece of beef. I have been trying to flip him to the KK, and he staunchly resists. The reason is we both think we are the smartest guy on the planet, and he can't admit I might be right. One day I sent a KK pork butt down to his place as a lunch gift. He admitted he liked it, but his wife and nephew really flipped for it! So on Monday he is having a combo Memorial Day party combined with his mother in law's 85th birthday. Lo and behold his wife calls me up and asks me to prepare the meat on the KK. She does not want him cooking on the gasser!!! Oh man, that has to stick in his craw. I am going to cook a Mojo Pork Butt per the Naked Whiz, a hot fast brisket marinated for 12 hours, and whatever else I can think of to make him wish he never cooks on gas again!

Re: What's going on your KK Memorial Weekend 2010?

Saturday (BBQ at my Buddies on his new Stumps Smoker)

Ribs

Chicken

Fatty

Brats

Oysters

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend.

I enjoyed my Stumps cooker - went down to GA to meet Stump to pick it up. At the end of the day, it is perfect for parties - but for day to day cooking in the back yard, plus for the versatility - the KK cannot be beat! JMHO!

Have a great weekend Larry and All!

8)

Re: long story

make him wish he never cooks on gas again!

after he overcomes his humiliation, he will give you thanks... once you bring him up to the big leagues, tho, he will be on even footing and it will just be about technique and recipies, which might console him just a little.

of course, if he comes here and gets some tips from some of the pros here on this board, you never know; the student may become the master... so, you might want to think about hipping him to the good life we all enjoy here, obi wan ;)

AU Wagu Tri Tips

One of the gourmet import markets here that supply meat to the high end hotels finally took my tip to import Tri Tips.. They went one step further and got me AU Wagu Tri Tips Big ones too.. Three of them weigh almost 11lbs.

Now they sell to me at the business price of $5.40 lb. Which is an unbelievable price here ;-)

I don't think it's proper over the top marbling Wagu but it's definitely the most exciting thing I'll have cooked in a long time..

Can't wait..

IMG_4462_2.jpg

IMG_4463_2.jpg

NICE!!

Dennis, having done several of the Wagyu Tris I can tell you you're in for a treat. They're out of this world, an out of this world cut/grade on an out of this world cooker. Hope you're drinking something nice with it :)

wrapped my gauge!

picture a swarthy, bearded man loading charcoal into a bomb-shaped cooker, muttering to himself, "let's do this... let's get CRAZY...". he reaches for a blowtorch to light his grill with dancing eyes and a dangerous smile. this was ME last night.

if my neighbors had "danger-sense", it would have been tingling . rule for the future; no talking to yourself as you light the grill.

anyway, got my grill white hot, and the tru-temp gauge read 350. ha. i will have to recalibrate after this cook. again. anyway, 3 min. per side for perfect rare steaks. just beautiful, juicy, delicious. was worth the $5 worth of lump i spent to get the temps up.

can't do that on a weber gasser, am i right? ;)

dennis, when you say $5.40/lb. is crazy, you mean LOW, right? hard to be jealous when you have t-bones, but i have to admit, i was a little.

ps - does anyone else get excited and start talking to themselves when they light their fires?

We are doing a butt, probably some ABTs and whatever else we see at the last minute while at the store.

It's a bittersweet cook though- I have disbanded by family of wayward grills. I brought one if my kks to a friend, and am letting him have it, with the condition that I get to monitor it's happy life via the forum. So I'm kind of sad, this is my last cook on it, but his first of what I know will be many. He doesn't know what he has been missing ;)

The old posk has a new home too. After a visit to drunk_j's house this week for some welding on a new basket and door frame. So I will be down to one KK for a while.

While we are on the topic of memorial day, let me thank all of our veterans for their service. I appreciate you kicking ass on my behalf!

I'd cook and eat a nice tri tip over a tenderloin any day...

Dennis, when you say $5.40/lb. is crazy, you mean LOW, right? hard to be jealous when you have t-bones, but i have to admit, i was a little.

Absolutely.. This is imported from AU.. So we have transportation and import taxes built in.. as I said, I'm sure she's giving me their business/hotel discount. If they only were buying it once, at $5.40/lb. I'd buy a freezer just to load up...

I'm a die hard TriTip fan..

I think it's the best flavor and texture going for beef..

I'd cook and eat a nice tri tip over a tenderloin any day...

;);)

In case you missed it, here is the link to the Mojo Cuban Pork Butt from the Whiz:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/mojopork.htm

I put the paste on it last night and just now put it on the fire for tomorrows' party. It should be a straight 225 low and slow. The aroma that came off that thing when I took off the Saran Wrap was out of this world!!! Just as heady and aromatic as the Coffee Cardamom rub.

( http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... t=cardamom )

I sure hope it translates to a great cooked flavor. Yesterday I pre-prepared the Mojo sauce; it's in the fridge now and will be re-heated tomorrow.

I'll do a brisket tomorrow, it is marinating now with soy sauce, garlic, worcestershire and, in a new twist, a little splash of balsamic vinegar. Hopefully the vinegar won't overtenderize the meat.

I had a vision that I made a 9lb pork loin for pulling followed by a smoked cheesecake. I also made three sauces from Chris' book (the Carolina Mustard on 228, Western Carolina Pig Dip on 224 and Honey Garlic Tomato Sauce on 226). I also imagined a version of Chris' mustard coleslaw from page 76 using horseradish mayo instead of regular mayo - but I must of been dreaming :)

This weekend I'm "cooking" some Kansas City Wild Wings,actually reheating them. This batch came to me frozen and already fully cooked. So I guess I'm going to slather them with Uncle Dougies Wing Sauce, and some with Sweet Baby Ray's for the timid. Hope to enjoy them at the beach and set sail on our Hobie for this season's maiden voyage. Fortunately I will be seen in a full wetsuit(hides a multitude of sins-actually two...gluttony and sloth!),water temps are probably only around 60 degrees.

Update: thunderstorms all day, the seams on my wetsuit are safe for another time, gotta cook anyway:

The Spread

JKrRS.jpg

The Sassages!

rmh3J.jpg

On they go!

JLjK0.jpg

KansasCityWildWings with Franks Red Hot Sauce

xXEw9.jpg

Before the Sweet Baby Ray's...

JLGbi.jpg

Godzilla puffing away!

JL_8r.jpg

two racks of back ribs, chicken thighs, sausages, corn on the cob, pull all of this off heat up the KK and cook a ribeye. for sides my wife has made an excellent slaw, deviled eggs, watermelon, honeydew, cold beers and some good friends to help us enjoy the day.