mguerra

I did it again

You may recall me relating how they patrol the hell out of the posts at the Primo forums. If you mention another product, or link to another website or do anything they don't like, your post will be removed and/ or you will get a reprimand and/ or an "infraction". They have some moderators over there who are like these busy body power freaks in a homeowners association who run around just looking for violators. Well, they got me again... I made a post that is not 100% in line with some food safety guidelines, but was backed up by sound scientific reasoning, and stated it was not a recommendation, but simply my opinion. Well, they weren't having any of that! They removed my post, stating that " Common sense will not allow us to potentially put others in harms way.." I guess they figure their members are too stupid to make up their own minds about someone else's comments, and have to be protected by the moderators. Over here we can discuss the pros and cons of anything in an intellectual manner without some paternalistic freak trying to control us. I love this forum. Last time they infracted me over there, I never went back for about 6 months. I don't know when I'll ever go back there now.

I can relate

I have been living in our subdivision for about six years now, so the power freaks are not as omnipresent nor obnoxious as they once were. About three years ago, my next door neighbor used a rather brash yet effective means to send them hightailing off his property and out of his business. (He had had the utter temerity to plant a small vegetable garden in his backyard without their foreknowlege and consent.) He listened just long enough to surmise what they wanted. Then he loudly exclaimed that he thought the Gestapo had been disbanded long ago. Undeterred, the unwelcome visitors continued to berate him for planting his garden without their permission. Thereupon, my neighbor straightened to attention and began to bellow, "Sieg Heil, Sieg Heil," as he snapped off one sharp salute after another. His dutiful wife blushed crimson and began to try to hold his arm at his side and cover his mouth with her other hand. I had been maintaining proper decorum on the sidelines until that point in the exchange. However, even my reserve has its limits, and I began to bray my laughter like a donkey! The "Gestapo" beat a hasty retreat as my neighbor continued his salutes, his wife redfacedly trying to shush him. That was the last that we saw of them. Do you think a serving of babyback ribs with a nice salad would have been a more appropriate way to receive those honored guests? :wink:

No, not that. I made the following point: Regarding pork butts and briskets, NOT poultry nor ground meat. If you cook a butt or brisket to 185 degrees or more, you have sterilized it. If you remove it straight from the fire with clean hands or implements and foil it immediately, you will not contaminate it with bacteria. So if the temp drops below 140 while you are holding it for serving, I don't worry that it will suddenly become a thriving bacterial frappe and kill you! My view is that if you serve it the same day you took it off the fire, held uncontaminated as I described, it is fine no matter what temp it drops to. Food safety recommendations state that food should not be held between 40 to 140 degrees because those temps can support bacterial growth. My point is that if the bacterial load to start with is essentiallly zero, I don't worry that in the course of one day a foiled, sterile piece of meat will become a food safety threat. On the other hand if you contaminate food with a big bacterial load and hold it at those temps, it might be a problem. Anyway I was just telling a guy my opinion because he was convinced that if he held his pork butts for eight hours before serving, in foil in a cooler, they would be a food poisoning threat if they dropped below 140. I did not say the food safety guidelines were wrong, I simply stated what I do at my house, and why. The moderators jumped my ass, removed my post, but the worst part was their attitude that they had to control the message board as though the readers were ignorant children, unable to discern and think.

Mmm... mop bucket turkey, I haven't had that since November! I draw the line at porta potty chicken, though.

Its not like you suggested chicken sashimi.

In Tokyo I actually had chicken sashimi - I wouldn't recommend it. When someone in Asia asks if you "like chicken" your initial reaction may not be the most appropriate. It often involves just the skin (and not crispy skin either), the internal organs, and all sorts of other parts we round-eyed devils just throw away. When I heard chicken breast was next I figured I could finally eat something normal, then they said sashimi... The Japanese were very impressed with how much ground pepper I could eat.

Haha. Its like anything else though. We're all adults and make your own decisions on what you want to do. If you want to leave your meat out in the sun all afternnoon, go ahead. I don't care. Just don't feed it to me. When you're running from both ends maybe you'll learn that it isn't such a good idea. What MGuerra suggested isn't anywhere close to my reference.

I did use the chicken sashiimi reference because its certainly riskier than cooked chicken. Raw chicken does nothing for me though so you're a better man than me for trying it :D

home

Yes, I was extolling the virtues of KK! That really pissed them off. What pissed me off is I sold two Primo's for them, and they know it! And they still dis me. I think I'll just troll around the Virtual Weber Bullet forums for a while. There's really not much need to look around outside the KK forums anyway. We have all the tech tips, cooking hints, recipes and so on that you could need for a lifetime of ceramic cooking right here. Plus, I have to say, our members here are just very enjoyable and convivial.

funny

Here's a post from the Primo forum:

"Hey Primo how about these suggestions.

They say imitation is the best form of flattery. Obviously Primo has an original idea with the Oval models. I was thinking what other features you would like to see on the Primo cookers. I’ll list what I would like to add.

1. A better lid top with a daisy wheel smoke adjusted like the BGE

2. Ability to add coals without removing the grates like a hinged grate.

3. A spark screen on the bottom

4. A redesigned fire box to avoid cracking

5. An ash trap allowing you to lift out the ashes (no scraping from under the firebox)

6. Grate level eyelet for meat thermometer.

7. Concave and base lid lips ({lips}don’t know what its called), allowing for a tighter fit without felt."

This guy just needs a KK, I thought, since we have all those things except #5. Then, a couple of posts later, he says:

"Most of my idea came from the Komodo Kamado cooker."

I was stunned that the moderators let it stand! They jumped my ass for talking about KK once before.

I actually enjoy reading your points of view Doc!!! You have one hullofva educational background to back it up as well. Scientific approach, sterilized, no bacteria load to start with; got it dude. Wait, sterilized.... I never thought of meat being sterilized, but why not, love it, perfect sense. That's what I call thinking outside the box!!!!

When I was reading about MMS there was lots of information about all kinds of meat and vegetables being dipped chlorine dioxide solution or gassed with chlorine dioxide.

For those of you who have never heard about MMS

http://jimhumble.biz

http://jimhumble.biz/biz-brochure.pdf

http://www.mmsanswers.com

http://www.jimhumble.biz/biz-fundamentals.htm

http://mms-articles.com/MMS-howdoesitwork.htm

http://mmsinstructions.com

http://www.jimhumble.biz/biz-mms2intro-eng.htm