DennisLinkletter

Whatcha think about a ash port in the KK's floor?

What's your feelings about a 4" big old pipe dead center in the floor of the KK which could be opened with a sliding plate like the volume adjuster on the Guru's airflow nozzle? Up top in the floor it could be a bit wider like a funnel.

This way you could put your dri pan under your KK slide open the plate and your ash would simply and easily slide down into it..

;);)

PS You could also attach a leaf blower to it to get those serious high temps for searing and smelting metal!

I just slide a plastic painter's tray under the draft door, slide out the draft door, remove the ash screen, and go wild with a paint brush till most of the ash is no longer inside. I don't think I'd want a hole in the middle.

Some of the ash does make it to the painter's tray.

You'd think that there would only be four choices for how to put the ash screen back in. It generally takes me five or six tries to figure out which way it goes, and that's after just having seen the answer. One of the mysteries of the universe.

Sort of like when New Yorkers come home from a night out, to their apartments with three locks. Any of these could turn either way. This makes eight choices, but some people are found passed out in front of their doors, having given up trying. At least they didn't have to drive home.

Another idea.. Trans bag holder

What about a frame with the same rods that the front draft door have. It will fit into the draft door frame assembly..

A trash bag can be slipped inside the frame and folded back..

Then frame with rods (and bag) can then be slid into the guide tubes holding the bag in the front draft door hole.. ashes can then be swept into the bag without 15% ending up on your porch..

Anybody follow that?

Hmmm.... That bag attachment is sort of Deja vu :wink:

The bottom ash dump sounds like a good idea, but I think it would be a mess when put into practice. There are always a bunch of small lump pieces that have fallen through into the ash when I clean it out. Once a few of them got lodged in the funnel, I can envision having to get on the ground to poke a stick up in there to dislodge it. I also occasionally have damp ash in the bottom of the grill (still a mystery how it gets so damp), but I'm not sure how easily that would flow through.

I actually take the occasions when the ash has absorbed moisture as a good opportunity to empty it. The damp ash doesn't drift or blow when I push it out through the draft door. Otherwise, I will clean it out with a shop vac sometimes - and even then a couple of the lump crumbs get stuck in the end of the hose.

Re: Another idea.. Trans bag holder

What about a frame with the same rods that the front draft door have. It will fit into the draft door frame assembly..

Then frame with rods (and bag) can then be slid into the guide tubes holding the bag in the front draft door hole.. ashes can then be swept into the bag without 15% ending up on your porch..

Anybody follow that?

I follow that exactly and was going to be my suggestion. Clearly great minds think alike. The trouble with the hole is you're still going to have to get inside the cooker and sweep the ash to the hole. I'd rather have a solid floor.

Go with the draft door option.

My 2 cents - focus your efforts elsewhere. It is easy to clean out the KK without making a mess of things. I personally use a shop.vac and it looks like new in the bottom each time. My filter for the shop-vac is washable (clean water rinse anyway) so even that element is covered. Sorry I can't redirect your attention to a different part of the KK - you've done a damn good job building the ultimate cooker!

We're both serial tinkerers though... something will come to us... ;)

ash

using the front draft door opening works very well for me.

I keep a 33 gallon trash bag in the cart. I do not open all the way into a bag, I open it 'til it is a double thick plastic sheet, slide it under the front of the cooker so several inches are beneath the front of the cooker.

Use a paint brush to sweep the ash clear from inside, brush off the outside of the draft opening, slide the bag out, pick up the four corners and deposit the ash in the back of the flower garden. Fold the bag into quarters and store in the cart.

Putting a hole in the bottom of the cooker would present another opportunity for unwanted air flow, maybe structural implications and as FM pointed out, possibly obstruction by small bits of lump.

Things to do

I suggest you open a new line of product for the 2 cookers.

"KK Toy Department"

KK Roti 6"

KK Roti 8"

KK Roti basket

KK Grill plate (for eggs, stirfry and etc.)

KK Covers

KK Stainless cooking tools (short and long)

KK Grill lifter hanger (hang on table)

KK Smoke unit

KK aprons

KK Hats

KK Drink holders

KK Table umbrella

KK Pot holders

KK Dishes

KK COOKBOOK

Re: Another idea.. Trans bag holder

Anybody follow that?

Over the course of 30+ years in the California fire service, I have seen numerous fires, usually wildland, ignited by hot ashes discarded from a BBQ. I wouldn't recommend discarding into a bag. I confess that KK owners are quite discriminating, but it's probably best not too tempt the odds. Personally, I just place a contractor's dust pan under the draft door, and sweep the firebox clean.

I use an aluminum foil 1/2 steam table pan under my KK all the time. I just pull it out when I need to empty the ashes out. I would love to see the cooking grates running from 12 to 6 oclock instead of the current 9 to 3 config. Not a BIG deal, just would make the flipping and turning of product easier. I'm sure it isn't the most efficient way to manufacture them however.

It seems the consensus is if it aint' broke dont fix it..

I spoke to someone who suggested a way to improve the KK would be an easier way to empty the ashes out.. so I put on my thinking cap and went to sleep..

It seems the consensus is if it aint' broke dont fix it..

That's why this feedback is invaluable..

I refer to it as interactive BBQ design..

;);)

Replace the doohickey with stainless steel bolts

Ash-plug-out.jpg

Ash-plug-in.jpg

Here's my take on easing the ash cleaning process: Remove that doohickey obstacle whose purpose I forget, replacing it by 5/16" x 3/4" stainless steel bolts.

One wants something to block the holes, so they aren't hopelessly plugged when you finally realize what the doohickey is for.

One wants stainless steel because other metals e.g. galvanized let off noxious gases at fire temperatures.

Now sweeping the KK is less of an agility test.

Doohickey can be yanked and tossed..

Here's my take on easing the ash cleaning process: Remove that doohickey obstacle whose purpose I forget, replacing it by 5/16" x 3/4" stainless steel bolts.

One wants something to block the holes, so they aren't hopelessly plugged when you finally realize what the doohickey is for.

Now sweeping the KK is less of an agility test.

The Doohickey is a support for the big heavy gas burner.. If you don't have one or plan on ever using one it can be yanked and tossed.. No problem letting the holes fill with ash..

;););)