DennisLinkletter

Rough draft of the Roti Drip pan

Re: Rough draft of the Roti Drip pan

Great idea for the drip pan, but won't the tube get too hot and vaporize the fat? What about a double layer of metal on the bottom of the drip pan, this might keep the fat from smoking or evaporating at moderate roasting temps.Or sealing some refractory material inside the double layer of metal on the bottom of the drip pan.

I see the tube getting plugged up easily and also being a challenge to setup since it has to go down through the charcoal basket. Probably not a big deal with a clean, empty cooker and basket, but messy when you have a half burnt basket of lump, and the inside of the grill is well used.

Just to throw out an alternative...how about having the bucket suspended by a bail instead of resting down in the fire. Picture a triangle, with a hook attached on the top and the base attached to the end of the catch bin (on each end). This way you could just hang it from the rotis assembly.

Advantages: It would always be centered under the basket...It wouldnt be down in the fire and burning....you could take it out to dump or capture the drippings(even in the middle of a cook if there is room enough?) without getting down in the grill and dirty. It could be a lighter construction, and it would also be easier at cleanup time too because it could go in the dishwasher if you wanted.

Just make sure the hook has a wide, gentle bend to it (like an inch or so diameter) and it should have no problem slipping as the basket rotates.

FWIW, I too am not a fan of the drip tube (for reasons already mentioned).

FM, bucket suspended via bail/hooks is one heck of an idea!! :smt023:smt023

Bucket would be installed/removed independant of the rotisserie/hunk of meat; correct? It could also be engineered with something to adjust the height.

I've never liked the coals under the drip tray. The heat is so intense that it burned the fat beyond the smoke point and tainted the flavor of the meat. The smoke point of chicken fat is only 375f but thats not high enough to get a crisp skin. I like my homemade option that was hacked together using Weber stuff and some old stainless. I use disposable aluminum trays which makes it easy to clean and the coals are off to the side. This gives me the ability to get high temps to crisp the skin and avoid burning the fat. Just another option....... :idea:

I've never liked the coals under the drip tray. The heat is so intense that it burned the fat beyond the smoke point and tainted the flavor of the meat. The smoke point of chicken fat is only 375f but thats not high enough to get a crisp skin. I like my homemade option that was hacked together using Weber stuff and some old stainless. I use disposable aluminum trays which makes it easy to clean and the coals are off to the side. This gives me the ability to get high temps to crisp the skin and avoid burning the fat. Just another option....... :idea:

Agree on the fat burning issue.. I even place small spacers under the drip pan even with the heat deflector in place to get it off of the hot surface.

Agree on the fat burning issue.. I even place small spacers under the drip pan even with the heat deflector in place to get it off of the hot surface.

I've found adding a can of beer or so in the drip pan also helps eliminate the fat burning issue/off taste result. My biggest drip pan uses almost two cans of beer.

Doc, at least a few of us agree with Cruzmisl comment "The heat is so intense that it burned the fat beyond the smoke point and tainted the flavor of the meat.".

My wife for years complained about a tainted flavor; got to a point we started thinking she just didn't like the flavor of charcoal cooking. At some point we realized keeping the dripping grease away from the hot coals eliminated the tainted flavor she didn't like.

I'm in Java this week in the factory and the guys made up the two drip pan prototypes I asked for.. There was a little miscommunication in that they made the what I wanted the total with the inside width.. so it's wider than I wanted.

They did come up with a clever bracket that sits on the lower grill lip.. Seeing it sitting there gave me another idea.. Having it sit a bit to the front and so the bulk of it is forward of the mid-roti line.. I need to do some fat drip analysis this weekend to see how far from center a bird will drip.. But moving it forward gives it much more direct straight up heat for aggressive fat melting..

;);)

Photos over the weekend!

As an engineer, I'm curious about the comments made above...

When a rotis chicken rotates, from where the the fat drip? All over, or mostly from the front edge as the fat that pooled on the way over the tip 'pours' off. i.e.: Sort of like a old fashionned water wheel would drop liquid.

Curious in Seattle,

Dan

Well here is my set up. Obviously the roti in the center, below that is the drip pan, under the drip pan is the firebox. Depending on what I'm cooking and how hot I want it, I'll either remove the coal basket or leave it in. Leaving it in elevates the coal a little and puts it closer to the food. You can see the coal baskets flanking the sides of the beast. When I Was done with this roast I removed the drip pan and threw it away. KK stays nice and clean. The internal temp of the KK never got above 500 and I get great results.