rick

Boneless Beef Short Ribs

I need to qualify this post, Ive never cooked beef short ribs before, ever. In fact, Ive only had them a few times in my life. I picked up about 14 pounds of boneless beef short ribs from Costco. Being my first cook of this cut, everything was an experiment. We tested four different rubs and trialed cook durations. We cooked part of the meat for five hours, another for six and the balance for seven hours, all at 225 on the main grill. Boneless Beef Short Ribs, ~14 pounds in cryovac packaging, trimmed all excess fat and silver membranes. The package contained eight relatively big sections of rib meat. After trimming, I cut each section in half, lengthwise creating 16 pieces. Each piece of meat was about seven to eight inches long by roughly 1.5 by 1.5 inches square. Before igniting the KK, we applied four different rubs to groups of four from the 16 overall pieces. KK setup - 225 degrees, Cowboy lump with cherry wood chunks for smoke, indirect with drip pan, set directly on top of heat deflector. Lit three areas of lump with mapp gas torch & hair dryer, brought KK up to temp then put three hunks of cherry on top of each. The meat was cooked on the main grill. Initiated Stoker and StokerLog to control and monitor the cook, pit probe was clamped to the main grill near the polder hole. Rubs used in comparison: #1 Dizzy Pig - Dizzy Dust #2 Dizzy Pig - Raising the Steaks #3 Dizzy Pig - Cow Lick Steak Rub #4 Grill Mates - Cinnamon Chipotle Pulled first piece from each group at 5:00 hours. Pulled another set at 6:00 hours and the rest at 7:00 hours. Results of taste test: While all were good, we preferred Raising the Steaks for this cut of beef. Results of cook time: In my opinion five hours was okay, six was better and seven was great. For some, cooking for seven hours may be too long as the meat easily pulls apart similar to pulled pork. Lessons learned: Perhaps I should not have trimmed all the fat off the rib meat. Next time I will only trim excess fat off half and for the most part leave the other half alone. Once off the grill, care must be taken to keep this cut from drying out. Wait too long, without foiling, and the meat toughens up. We preferred a cook time of seven hours at 225. While we preferred Raising the Steaks rub, all were really good. We will expand the experiment and marinate next time. I suggest you find a rub you prefer and go for it! Here are some pictures: fetch?id=68046fetch?id=68047fetch?id=68048

Re: Boneless Beef Short Ribs

Looks great. Yeah, short ribs are one of my favorite cuts. Not everyone likes bones, and on the bone these ribs shrink like crazy, so your boneless idea works. Sort of a variant on brisket.

We've been partial to short ribs as a hamburger component, though lately we've been choosing the most nicely marbled chuck roast at our favorite butcher. It comes from one end, but I forget which end, and so do they if they didn't just cut it, so I go by looks.

Short ribs are also perhaps the single best cut for beef stew. It stuns me how many good cooks don't actually have any clue how to pick stewing meat. Cheap is a happy consequence, not how one selects.

Looks great.. I see very well marbled beef ribs here thinly sliced for shabu shabu.. and getting top dollar for them.

There is a lot of junk that needs breaking down but it adds to the overall moisture of the meat when finished.

They make great sandwiches the next day also..

Thank you for documenting the cook for us..

;);)

Sometimes people see these photos and think we have burnt the meat. From time to time you see these comments on various BBQ forums about how our cookers just burn stuff up. Of course it is just the rub that takes on a black color, the meat is succulent!

Yes, I agree - the meat was very moist and succulent as you describe, mostly due to the breakdown of connective tissue. At least I think that is why we preferred the seven hour cook time. The meat was definitely not dry. Also, I think some of the darker coloring comes from the cherry wood I used for smoke. In my experience smoke from fruit woods (at least cherry and apple) add more color to meat than other varieties like hickory and mesquite, plus a much different flavor.

Saw this post and was inspired to try some beef ribs (boneless). Did as suggested, 6 hours @ 220F, indirect, with mesquite. Split batch - half w/Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks (used a bit too much, will cut back next time) and half wet marinade - Asian inspired - light soy sauce, garlic, ginger, szechuan peppercorns, sesame oil, orange oil, and Gochujang (Korean fermented soy/chili paste). Marinated for about 4 hours in the fridge.

Will definitely be doing this one again soon - YUMMY!