MadMedik

Would you have cooked this Chicken?

Last weekend I was going to do this chicken, Spatchcock style... cut the spine out the back , open it up, cook meat side up... ...as i split it open and looked at the chickens insides...this is what i saw: :shock:fetch?id=68245fetch?id=68246fetch?id=68247 Looks rotten, like "gang-green", or how ever you spell it. There was not a bad smell from the bird. It was in refrigerator about 2 days only. I did NOT cook it. Tossed it in the trash, went and bought a new chicken. Problem was that I had already lit the fire....lucky the store was close and the fire temp was reached when i was ready with the 2nd chicken. Makes you wonder how many other whole chickens have been cooked with this in the inside???? :mad:

Re: Would you have cooked this Chicken?

I can't tell from the photo but it looks like they didn't remove all the internal organs and left a bit behind. You can probably assume that ALL chicken has some contamination from the intestinal flora during butchering, that's why we have the food safety cooking temperatures. So even chickens without this little green wad probably harbor some of the same gunk. I imagine if you removed it, washed the bird, and cooked to a safe temp it would have been fine. But I wouldn't have eaten it. I would give the meat to the dogs after a thorough cook. They drag up dead rotting deer carcasses from the canyon and chew on them without any apparent ill effects!

@Syzygies:

Thanks for the correction in spelling and pronunciation. I saw the movie as a child, so I spelled the word as I remember it sounding to my juvenile mind at that time. I haven't seen the movie since it premiered, forty odd years ago. Put it in the category of "nucular weapons!"Good lookin' out! :wink:

So I have this Dutch friend who used to sell chicken processing plants for years here in Asia. I sent him these photos knowing that he's probably seen it all..

This is his reply..

"Oh and that yuckie chicken...gross!!! But it is not gangrene but most likely a broken intestine with some yuckie green shit that was left inside when the intestines were pulled out at the processing plant.

And NO I would not have cooked it either."

;);)