Jocko

low and slow beef brisket

I would really appreciate any advice on cooking the above. Do I need to put the stone in the cooker? I see these people on the Food Network cooking beef Briskets at 150 degrees for 8 hours and I can't figure out how to do that. There has to be a way. Any advice is appreciated. Best, Jocko.

Re: low and slow beef brisket

I would really appreciate any advice on cooking the above. Do I need to put the stone in the cooker? I see these people on the Food Network cooking beef Briskets at 150 degrees for 8 hours and I can't figure out how to do that. There has to be a way. Any advice is appreciated. Best' date=' Jocko.[/quote']

150 for 8 hours? That must be cured.... :idea:

Have you guys found a need or benefit to wrapping in foil with the KK once the brisket reaches 150-160 deg? Obviously one of the biggest benefits to the KK is the retained moisture in our cooks. Obviously moist and tender WITH a great bark is ideal but does any of this have to give on the KK? Any insight is appreciated. I've got an 8 pound trimmed whole packer going on later this evening.

to foil or not....I don't think it is needed, but it speeds up the cook...at the expense of the bark. I would go with a simple low and slow if you have the time. Personally, I like the texture better. But hot and fast is good too. I agree that the KK excels in moisture retention. I have never had a brisket dry out on me. I like the simplicity of not foiling.

Did one of my best briskets ever today.  I joined KCBS and by doing that, you can get one day passes to Restaurant Depot.  Picked up a 14lb  brisket for $3.59lb yesterday.  Let it sit overnight after trimming and rubbing with the coffee cardamon rub.  Put it on at 6 am and was done by 2:30.  I did foil at 170 and put in the cooler wrapped in towels when I hit 200, so it certainly wasn't low and slow.  It was very very moist, more than any other I have done.  

post-1101-0-58814200-1401669993_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-04485300-1401670007_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-03927700-1401670017_thumb.jp

I have question regarding how much coco charcoal to use vs. wood (Texas post oak) in my case. I plan on smoking (low and slow) a 14lb packer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This type of grill is not conducive to all wood smoking like an offset smoker. It should be almost all charcoal, with just enough wood to add some flavor. 

Fill up the basket with coco and/or hardwood lump charcoal. Toss on a couple of big chunks of your post oak (separate them so they burn at different times). Light only a small area of charcoal to start, put your deflector/drip pan/grates in and let the KK come up slowly to temp (target 225-250F) for a lo & slo. Bottom vent wheel about 1/4" open and the top vent about a quarter turn open.

Cook to temperature, not time. Brisket needs to cook to at least 200F internal meat temp. Wrap in foil and a towel and place in a cooler to let rest for 30 minutes (or more) so it can reach final temp (~210F). My recommendation is to separate the flat and point when you take it off the grill at 200F, wrap the flat to rest, and cut the point into chunks (about 1 1/2" square), season the meat chunks with whatever rub/sauce you like, put them in a foil pan (uncovered) and put back on the grill for another hour to make burnt ends - Meat Candy!!

Let us know how it comes out. And, oh yes, pictures please!