MadMedik

Ribeye Roast cook

Hello. After much contemplation and a few private messages to forum members I went ahead and did a Ribeye Roast cook yesterday. First, Amazing! That being said, this is what I did and here are a few pictures. One can use many techniques with this cook. Sear or reverse sear or no sear. Cooking temps between 200 to 400. Basic rub to exotic rub. It really doesn't matter much as long as you monitor things and actually finish on YOUR desired finish internal temp. This is what I decided to do. I seared at the beginning. This seems more predictable than at the end of cook. Roast was 9 pounds. I heat soaked for nearly two hours and had my pit temp at 320-330 degrees entire cook.. I used Mesquite lump, smaller indirect stone sitting on handles of coal basket, and added old oak chunks from old, aged wine barrels (about two handfuls of small chunks) just before adding meat. I cooked on the main, largest grill. I put the meat the meat fat Sid up in center of grill. Put the iGrill Bluetooth temperature probe in and let her go. My done temp to take off the grill was 135 degrees. This took me 2 hours and 45 minutes. I lightly covered in foil and cut it to pieces after about 35 minute rest. Oh, by the way, the meat set on counter for about two hours before cooking. Initial raw meat IT was 41 degrees. This is my final product. Very good! I am doing three more of these for 26 people on Christmas Day. I will duplicate this process then..

. fetch?id=74539fetch?id=74541fetch?id=74542

This was best roast I have ever done. Easy to do. Give it or something similar a try!! MadMedik

Re: Ribeye Roast cook

This is one of the more luscious KK cooks. As Mad said, the technique is super flexible as to temperature of the cook, just pull it at your desired done temp. Bone in or boneless, just grab what they have! Do it indirect. In the same way that people think you are a freaking genius when you serve them KK pork butt, they also go insane for this one. I still get comments 2 years later on one I did for my Mom's birthday. I marinated that one in soy, worcestershire and garlic for 24 hours, cooked on mesquite. I just roasted it with no sear. This one is mandatory for the KK club.

fetch?id=67374fetch?id=67375fetch?id=67376 Re: Ribeye Roast cook

Tag on to thread..... I bought two small grass fed roasts as it was all they had. total weight 10#. salted and seasoned the night before. I kept it simple. I seared and smoked (peach wood) them in a roasting pan on the KK for 20 minutes at 550, but my temperature would not come done below 400 so after anothe 20-30 minutes on the KK, I gave up and finished them inside at 325. They were pulled simultaneously. The 4 rib was at 115 and the 3 rib was at 120-125. I made yorkshire pudding from the drippings. (first time, big hit)

post-7115-139082403656_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082403675_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082403685_thumb.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a carving picture of a rib roast pulled at 115 deg. and it looks perfect!! I'm planning on doing a 4.5 lb two bone for New Year's Eve according to the Molly Stevens roasting book which is a high temp cook the whole way and pull at 115 deg. I wasn't sure about that end temp but now I know I'll be happy!! Great job!!

It is hard to sear at a high temp, then bring the temp down to cook. Especially if you are using the dome thermometer to get what you think you need as a sear temp. The dome temp will be considerably lower than the temp down at the fire level. So you will have a super hot fire if the dome temp is 500-700.

Do this instead. Ignore the dome temp. Fill the charcoal basket, start a 2/3 chimney of charcoal and let it really get going. Dump this out on top of the basketful and spread to the size of your meat. Put the sear grill on the charcoal basket handles and sear the meat. That 2/3 chimney of hot coals will do it. You are not even ten minutes in to your cook, your meat is seared and your KK is not up to 500 plus degrees. Move the meat to your desired grill level, shut the vents down to a small opening and you will be able to keep your KK at your desired temp from here. Because you only started 2/3 of a chimney and you shut your vents down right quick, your fire won't rage out of control.

For a really small piece of meat you can put a grill grid right on the charcoal chimney and sear it right on the chimney. I keep an old grill from one of my old metal grills for this purpose. Or they sell them at the home improvement stores.

Thanks...her book is where I took the temp from....

Molly Stevens has a spectacular picture of the high temp rib roast on the front cover of the book and a couple of other great shots in the preface and at the recipe page. But a picture from a member of this group is far more valuable than a cookbook picture.

Susan

I know to cook to Internal Temp. I am cooking a 6lb. Rib Roast with bones. Trying to figure out timing so the Roast will be ready at a certain time. I plan on cooking Roast at 250 it gets to 105. Raise temp up to 500-550 until roast gets to 125.

If you suggest initial higher temp I will go with that.

Thank you.

Eggary: I think that's right. I did a low temp reverse sear rib roast last year starting the high temp on the sear grill at 115 for just a minute or two a side and my roast ended up way overcooked for my taste - up to 138 which I didn't anticipate. The experts on this board recommended I start the high temp sear at 105 on the main grill where I could monitor the temp. You're keeping an eye on it so you should be fine.

As far as timing, you don't have to worry too much about that. You can hold your meat at a good hot temp for quite a while before serving. Just foil it, wrap in towels and put in a cooler. In fact if you have it finished a few hours ahead it gives you lots of time to do the other jillion things that need doing prior to guest arrival.

On the other hand there is a real convivial joy to be pulling the meat off with your guests all watching; and more than that, having them smelling the wafting smoke. It can be a big part of the party ambience.

Well, most roasts are done in about two hours or less, pork loins, beef tenderloins, rib roasts and so on. So if you really want it done right at or near guest arrival, start your cook one hour ahead. I mean, you don't take people straight from the front door to the table, do you? This will give you about an hour, plus or minus, to visit, imbibe, serve pre-food and so on. Then haul everyone out to the deck for the "unveiling"!

We are hosted by some friends pretty often who never start cooking til all the guests get there. So pretty much the first part of the party is always in the kitchen, hanging with the hostess.

But if you need or want it done ahead, do it and hold in a cooler.

Last night's Rib Roast was a success ! Everyone loved it. Even my wife said it was cooked perfectly. I cooked it as I said I would but I cooked it in a pan instead of just on the grill. I had started the grill at 250 but eventually raised it 325. When the internal temp reached 105, I took out the Roast and opened up the vents to get it up to 500+. The temp stayed at 475, so I just put the roast back on to get to the internal temp of 125. I was debating on taking the roast out of the pan but I left it in the pan.

When the temp reached 124 I pulled the roast. Unfortunately I didn't use the right gloves as I burned one of my fingers.

I let the roast sit of 30 minutes. I made Popovers and they cooked in the oven while the roast rested. The moment of truth came when I started slicing and the meat came out Medium Rare, not a lot of gray. I am sorry I didn't get the "Money" shot as I was dealing with getting the Popovers.

As to timing, screw it ! My wife wanted the Rib Roast done by 5:30, oh well...... So we ate appetizers, drank some wine, and shmoozed. It was relaxing and that is how it is suppose to be. I do need to work on my timing but this was just right.