mnacht

So proud of my Memorial Day Ribs!!

Pictures show dry rub ( let them sit for 24 hours), then 1/2 way through the cook and then my finished product. All of my guests raved about the finished product. Decided not to us my KK rib rack this time and just used additional upper grill to help with accommodating 5 racks.

post-846-0-34765400-1401331867_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-22323700-1401331888_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-51592500-1401331904_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I cooked Ribs on a Kamado Joe last Sunday in Brasil. I cooked them too long, almost 4 hours at 250. The KJ was my Brasilian Brother's that I gave him. I usually cook ribs for 3 hours.

So my question to you is: How long and at what temp ?

Your Ribs do look good.

I try not to think in hours with ribs because there are soo may variables. How thick, how meaty, how fatty, how big are the bones etc.  I pick them up with tongs and bounce them to test doneness.. I don't want the meat to tear from the bounce.. just before that the meat still needs to be chewed.  The bones should be clean but definitely not fall off the bone mushy..

I did my last rack for about 4 hours @ 225F (w/guru control). They were St. Louis cut, so a bit thicker and being Swabian, they had higher fat content.

But, Dennis is correct about how to test for "doneness." I wait until the meat pulls back from the ends of the bones before I start "bend testing" them. I want a bite to it and not "falling off the bone."

You are right about not going by time. Tony B, I made ribs at 225 and they were the best. I just like to use time as a basis when to start checking the ribs. Don't want to open the KK often and let the heat escape. Like the saying goes, "if you're lookin, you aren't cookin".

^ I agree!

Kudos mnacht...nice looking ribs!

Although I generally prefer trimmed up spare ribs to baby backs....I do love them both.   For a break from smoking baby backs we like this version equally well too.  Essentially make a paste using minced fresh rosemary, parsley (or sage), minced smoked habanero, coriander, sea/kosher salt & black pepper:  Simple!  I like to use a mortar and pestle but a food processor works in a pinch too :D

Rub the BB's and let sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.  I slow roasted these on the KK over oak and hickory lump for about 3-hours at 325-350*F and they were just superb.

post-1238-0-72503900-1401726400_thumb.jp

dstr8,

Your ribs look great as well.

I agree with Dennis' approach to checking for doneness. For this most recent cook, I smoked at 225 degree for 4 hours. Smoked with applewood and sprayed with apple juice periodically.

Can anyone recommend how much wood is ideal? This time I used a few chunks - about 8 oz in total.

I typically (depending on what type of meat/fowl, mass of same and smoke session time period) use several chunks that are generally in the 2"x2"x2" range.  I need to try the flour/paste trick on a cast iron dutch oven, especially for longer smoking sessions, but for now I'm just using the MSR SS pan with a few holes drilled for venting.

A big  :thumbup:  from me on the cast iron smoke pot. Took me a few tries to get the flour/water paste down (I started out making it too thin), but now I have a feel for it and it works great. I generally put one good sized chunk of hardwood (hickory, oak, or mesquite) in the pot with 2 or 3 similar sized chunks of whatever fruit wood I plan to use. Put the pot on top of the coals at the beginning and by the time you've heated up the KK to temp, the pot should be just starting to smoke. With the restricted airflow in the pot, you can generate some nice smoke for a long cook and when you're done - you've made a few pieces of nice hardwood charcoal. How cool is that!?!