TopHat

Big Bad 32 Questions

I've never owned a Kamado, let alone a KK. I figure my first jump should be my last. That kind of moves me beyond the money argument. 

I have some questions, and I'm sure I'll have more, that I wanted to ask folks about. I'll just start with this one and go from there. 

1. The 32 is quite large, and I'm sure the charcoal basket holds plenty of charcoal. On the webpage for this beast, Dennis mentions that the basket splitter is a necessity for folks wanting to do high temperature sears/grills because it limits the charcoal you have to put in. I guess my question would be, I do mostly high temperature grilling (steaks burgers chicken, you name it) and less of the low and slow (pulled pork, etc). Would buying a 32 be a bad choice because I'm effectively going to split the basket (and hence the grill) down to 16? I'm not cooking for an Army, I have a family of four and entertain for a party of 8 a couple times a week. I've seen Larry on Youtube videos light up the whole 23 basket when he grills steaks, and uses height more than hi/low cooking zones to control heat. Perhaps that technique is not viable on the 32, say if you were throwing 10 T-bones on there and wanted all the grill space you can get. 

It sounds like for the amount of cooking that you do at any one time, that the 23" is plenty big enough for you. But, I'm curious, what draws you to the KK (or any ceramic cooker) if almost all of your cooking is direct high temp grilling? While it does a very good job of that, that's not what it's famous for - low and slow smoking (actual barbequing) is what makes the KK stand out in the crowd (plus, how well built and beautiful it is, too!)

I recently added the basket splitter and second charcoal basket to my arsenal of toys for my 23" KK. It just gives you more flexibility in cooking arrangements and isn't a necessity - imo. I don't know the date on those YouTube vids from Larry you were watching, but they are probably before the basket splitter was available as an accessory. Larry's vids are great info for how to cook on the KK, but be careful about extrapolating some of your conclusions based on them.

Dennis, as well as the Forum members, are ready to answer just about any question you might have about the KK. So don't be shy or embarrassed; fire away!

You don't HAVE to use the basket splitter, if you want to use the whole basket for a cook, you can. It seems that a 23" would be adequate for your needs, but if you want a 32, go for it. I do recommend you talk to Dennis more on the subject, I know he'll give you the best advice available. There are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum, but in this case, Dennis is far and away your best source of information. <br />

<br />

<br />

Robert

It sounds like for the amount of cooking that you do at any one time, that the 23" is plenty big enough for you. But, I'm curious, what draws you to the KK (or any ceramic cooker) if almost all of your cooking is direct high temp grilling? While it does a very good job of that, that's not what it's famous for - low and slow smoking (actual barbequing) is what makes the KK stand out in the crowd (plus, how well built and beautiful it is, too!)

I recently added the basket splitter and second charcoal basket to my arsenal of toys for my 23" KK. It just gives you more flexibility in cooking arrangements and isn't a necessity - imo. I don't know the date on those YouTube vids from Larry you were watching, but they are probably before the basket splitter was available as an accessory. Larry's vids are great info for how to cook on the KK, but be careful about extrapolating some of your conclusions based on them.

Dennis, as well as the Forum members, are ready to answer just about any question you might have about the KK. So don't be shy or embarrassed; fire away!

tony b,

Not to hijack TopHat's thread, but what are you doing with a second charcoal basket?  I need to know what I am missing out on so that I can want it too.

You guys are brilliant, wish I had thought of that before placing my order.  Will start putting together my next shopping list...

TopHat, noticed from an earlier post you are from the Northern Virginia area.  Do you happen to be back in the area?  Reason I ask is if you are still in the Virginia area and haven't seen a KK yet happy to have you over to see my 23" when received.

For low and slow cooks the 23" Ultimate's capacity of 40-60 lbs of meat is more than most people will ever need. That being said if you are grilling for a dinner party of 6 or more the 23 fills up very quickly. There are workarounds that can be done like cooking all you meat indirectly first - i.e. reverse sear that lets you finish many steaks in a short period of time.

While the 32 is large for a ceramic grill it is by no means a large grill for grilling.. remember 48"- 54" gassers are fairly common.

The 32 is really nice for cooking corn/potatoes and steaks at one time for 6+ people... I like the basket splitter because it reduces the btu's down below and lets you more easily leave your well gloved hand down in the grill to play with your food..  I'm more into browning these day as opposed to just grill marks.

This is a 23" main grate sitting on the 32's main

post-2-0-89809400-1404785121_thumb.jpg

Dennis, I remember you previously stating the comparison (in answer to why most of us, well me anyway :D, think the 32" is so huge) of the KK 32" to the typical 42"+ SS built in BBQ.  Not sure why the KK 32" seems so huge in comparison but my former 42" SS gas unit seemed about right :D  You're spot on!

Damnit...now I want a 32" :D

I actually live in the Midwest (Omaha), but I roll through NoVA a few times a year. I was out on business when I posted the last time. 

I'm actually overseas on deployment right now, but I should be back through NoVA in October. Perhaps then I can stop by and check it out. 

Dennis -

Your scenario of 6+ (full meals on the grill) is exactly why I'm looking at the 32. Do you find yourself using the basket splitter alot in that scenario, or will it just burn through 20lbs of charcoal lighting the whole thing up? Generally, I'm not opposed to splitting the basket, it seems like I can sear a bunch of steaks right quick and then just indirect them a few minutes for a nice medium. Having all the sides on the indirect side as well. I just was curious if folks have ever lit up the whole thing and tried to make a big grill. 

As far as why KK, durability.Will last forever. I'm 32, if I buy 4 grills the rest of my life at say a grand each, I can pay for 23 KK up front at equivalent cost. Two, I like charcoal better than gas. Three, while I'm not a pit master, I do do low and slow cooks, they just aren't the majority of my cooks. I like to grill up a steak or burger after work with the family several times a week, and maybe on weekends do something a little fancier for Q. And they are damn beautiful. 

Second question. I was curious about the Half Main Grill option. What is the price? Seems like this would be a good way to split food between the lower level and the main level when doing high temp stuff. Whether you split the charcoal basket or not. 

I wish I knew why my computer has so much trouble with this new forum. Not only does it crash when I try to post a picture but I can't copy or paste or make the quote tab work either. Anyway...

I think its a marketing mistake for the KK to be known as primarily for low and slow cooking. I do many more regular grilling sessions than low and slow and my favorite feature of the KK, besides its beauty ad durability, is its versatility in distancing the food from the fire. And I use it ALL from my steaks and burgers inches from the flames on the low handles of the sear grill to my chickens way up high in the dome. In fact, I would say that the least used cooking level in my KK is the main one except as a support for the sear grill on the tall handles. Add to that the options afforded by the basket splitter - I doubt there are many grills out there of any kind that can compete with this for regular grilling. And this is what distinguishes it from a cooking perspective from other ceramic cookers like the Big Green Egg which also does low and slow very well but doesn't offer these options for grilling. .    

Susan

• Like 1

Don't forget that you can also use the basket splitter to limit your charcoal use by splitting it horizontally instead of vertically so that you have the full width of grilling surface but only half the depth of a full basket. Just did this the other night for a quick cook of 5 burgers way down low on the low handles of the sear grill. 

Susan

Susan

When you do the burgers very low, what temperature is your grill? With steaks people are running 500+.....do you go that hot for burgers too? That seems hot for burger in my mind?? Do you run lower temps but still cook very close?

MadMedik

Susan, I share many of the same problems you do with the new Forum - can't copy/paste, can't imbed URLs to websites, or use the "quote" feature. At least the crashes stopped with the last update - HURRAY! So, to quote a previous President - "I feel your pain!"

I seem to recall that it was Susan that first suggested to me to get a second charcoal basket to go with the splitter to make things easier to swap out. Good call on that one!

Versatility is the name of the game here. So many options for setups and cooking methods, it just makes your head swim. From super high temp grill, to pizza oven, to lo & slo smoker, to rotisserie, it does it all. While I got my KK before Dennis finished designing the Big Azz 32", I doubt that I would have bought one that big anyway, but each to their own need, as they say! Regardless, you won't regret owning one of these beauties. They truly are amazing pieces of functional art!

Hello TopHat,

While I do not know who else has a 32 besides Susan, I can tell you about my experiences with a 32.

I do burgers, hot dogs, steaks, low and slows, pizzas, reverse sears, indirects, directs as well as other things with the 32. When used, it is normally for preparing food for about 14 people (90% adults) and growing.

I do not use a basket splitter and really do not use as much fuel (lump / extruded coconut) as I anticipated due to the size of the 32. The 32 is used an average of 4 days/nights per week regardless of the season.

I thought that I would need a blower to regulate temps, but quickly realized that I did not with the 32. It is a well designed and very efficient grill/oven/smoker or whatever you would like to call it.

As strange as it sounds, I am contemplating acquiring an additional 32!

You will be pleased with the 23 or 32.

Just remember "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have" when it comes to these beauties.

Good luck!

• Like 2