rorkin

Has anyone actually gotten the Smaller Inducer Tube for GURU

This is nuts.. Back and forth with Guru today.. They say only smaller inducer tube is the one used for mounting fan on thin wall offset smoker.

According to Dennis there should be a 2-1/2 inch one that is the proper one but the sales people don't seem to be able to help and according to someone on the forum they were told it does exist but can wiggle out..

This is insane. Has anyone actually bought this smaller inducer and does it fit properly so that it is a firm friction fit.. If so.. What is it properly called/ part number . Does anyone have a name of someone there who actually gets it ?? Is the short inducer tube actually a different part from the universal (offset smoker) fan/inducer tube..

I hope that this is all clear

Help :-)

I called the Guru people and purchased an inducer-tube from them to fit the KK. It fits through the Guru port built in. It will fit a little loose in the bulkhead fitting. I used silicone on the inducer-tube to hold it solid. Talk to Fred or Bob at Guru they should be able to help you. The only problem I had was having to file a little of the plate to let the inducer-tube slide thru from the inside of the cooker.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks for the response. Yes I saw your post and thus the questions..

Dennis is convinced that this should be a tight fit with no need for silicone.

Hopefully your fix will not work lose over time with pushing and pulling the fan on and off

There is some question of whether you got a fan tube or inducer tube..

I do not believe there is any difference since the fan fits into the inducer..

I don't know if there is a missed communication between Dennis and Fred or if the guru port is not quite the diameter it should be.. Or if there is another short tube other than the one you got that fits a little better

If not then something is amiss . I quote below the back and forth between Dennis and myself today on this issue.. I think I am reading it correctly

Q: How do I describe the shorter inducer sleeve to Guru ??

A: I think they only have 2.. The sample they sent me is only about 2 1/2" long

Q: There is some question on how to mount and hold that smaller one on..

Someone on the forum said that it does not lock in securely and they silicone it in I believe.

A: I think that was the fan tube as the faceplate is CNC laser cut and a perfect snug wiggle it in fit."

I wrote this all to Fred but I guess I will call him and try to resolve this.

"

Worse case, if you cannot buy the smaller one, you can cut it to fit and place the cut end to the inside of the grill. But I know they have a smaller one as they sent me a new one when my old one fell out of my old K. Basically the one on the K did not fit (too small) and in trying to get it to work it fell right out. Luckily I kept the old one from my old K and working on getting it to the right inside diameter.

Oh yeah, on the silicone thing. I used high temp black silicone on my guru port on the old K and it worked great. So good I used it to cement in my draft door that fell out too. That is what I will use here too.

Also, I know I need to change my FAQ too. This whole guru question is one I brought up months back and thought I understood that no additional tube was required. So now I need to update it.

-=Jasen=-

Spoke to Bob at Guru this morning.. Looks like they are recomending using the shorter tube and using a high temp silicone to glue it in..

They feel that it will stand up to the pushing and pulling. I also thought about removing the snap ring on the longer unit but was not able to check to be sure it is below the charcoal area so it could penatrate farther in. I assume it is fine but I am not in the same state as the smoker at the moment to check. :-)

Well I am trying locktite black hi temp silicone.. I used the inducer tube from my old offset firebox which is the same piece as the shorter tube.\

It has a spider inside for securing it in its original application which can be punched out.. If it is inserted from the inside, it fits up against the faceplate securing it in that direction.. Now if the locktite does its job then I should be able to push the fan in without dislodging the tube. Since the fan unit is a tight fit, I have some doubts but will see in 24 hours after loctite cures

I did not think to mention this earlier, but ruffing up the exterior surface of the inducer tube (and maybe even the interior of the port) with some very course sandpaper would give you some extra insurance. The inducer I have actually has rings cut into the outside, which could be emulated with a dremel tool. Pretty much anything to give it some more surface area for grabbing.

But if not, when I repaired the one on my old grill I did not do this and it held up just fine! It was metal to portland cement which is a harder bond than metal to metal; so I think you will be OK either way.

-=Jasen=-

Shown below is installation of shorter tube I had. Since tube is a little shorter than the installed tube, I also laid a silicone bead behind the inducer to limit movement when pushing inn fan, I also applied a little silicone plumbers grease (used for lubricating hot water valves) to ease insertion. The cap is not the tightest fit but seems ok..

See pictures at url below

http://www.pbase.com/rorkin/kamodo

66996211.bdTw0xhD.jpg

66996305.zUQYNQSi.jpg

66996339.hIAh3B7M.jpg

Guru inducer tube..

This is the tube and cap that was sent to me from high temp Fred at Guru.

The CNC cut faceplate is always snug and if they get a bit of weld in the way as in David's a bit of filing was necessary.. But they are not loose to the point of needing any silacone or other adhesive to stay put they are snug tight.. Or should be..

GuruFaceplateWeb.jpg

Shown below is installation of shorter tube I had. Since tube is a little shorter than the installed tube, I also laid a silicone bead behind the inducer to limit movement when pushing inn fan, I also applied a little silicone plumbers grease (used for lubricating hot water valves) to ease insertion. The cap is not the tightest fit but seems ok..

See pictures at url below

Dude, looks very good. I like the flat look - I plan to do the same.

BTW, WHAT IS UP - NO GRILL PICS?????? You got my grill man, that is the color I want. So how about getting us some nice pics of it? How do you like that color? Do you think dark grey grout will look good with it; that is what I plan on getting?

-=Jasen=-

Oh yeah, I am gonna leave the jokes out this time, but next time I see anything about lubing to ease insertion - it is gonna be fair game - hahahaha! 8)