tlinder

Pizza setup

I'm searching for the pizza experts in the forum. I bought now 2 extra pizza stones and want to try to use the KK heat reflector above the fire and on the main and the upper grill a pizza stone with the pizza on it. Has anyone allready tried this setup?

What is the best temperature for pizza (750?)?

When do you put the pizza stone into the KK?

Thank you for your answers!

Well, not sure on the rest of your answers, but pizza stone should be place in grill for it to preheat with your grill. Might want to experiment on the temp; 750 might be a bit high as you want the pizza done on both sides and not just burnt on one. If you place a heat deflector under the pizza stone you will better your chances of not burning; so I think that is a good idea. Also seems like the higher you get your pizza in grills, the more even they cook.

-=Jasen=-

Well, not sure on the rest of your answers, but pizza stone should be place in grill for it to preheat with your grill. Might want to experiment on the temp; 750 might be a bit high as you want the pizza done on both sides and not just burnt on one. If you place a heat deflector under the pizza stone you will better your chances of not burning; so I think that is a good idea. Also seems like the higher you get your pizza in grills, the more even they cook.

-=Jasen=-

Dear Jasen

Thank you for your input. I will give it a try with the double decker setup and post my results, but I still have to wait a while, because my thermometer is not with my yet and the one I have now goes only to up to 400 degrees.

Tobias, sorry for the delay but I am not familiar with international shipping and I forgot a document and that is why your temp gauge has been delayed. Hopefully all is cleared up and you will recive it in a few days. Let me know when you do.

Tony

I will, thank you! It's just impossible to get a thermometer here, that goes higher than 400 degrees. Really annoying.

At the various temps stated in this post, varies from 500 to 700 degrees.

how long to cook? Does any one add smoke?

I usually aim for around 500 and it takes about 10 minutes to cook. I try to let it heat soak for 45 mins. I use the accessory upper/sear grill to get it up into the dome. I check it at 5-8 mins and sometimes I need to rotate it. If your HD is not perfectly flat the pie will get done faster on the top on the high side of the HD. I use a fibrament pizza stone. I have not added smoke yet, the taste from the lump (BGE - Cowboy - Royal Oak - are the types I have used) is real nice. But next time I will add a touch of smoke to try it.

Pizza is one of my faves on the KK! The hardest thing is getting the hang of making the dough so it doesn't stick to the peel. :oops: Try it a few times before you invite guests for a party!

I usually aim for around 500 and it takes about 10 minutes to cook. I try to let it heat soak for 45 mins. I use the accessory upper/sear grill to get it up into the dome. ...

This is spot-on what we've found works best.

Further notes: We get away with a wetter dough by rolling each pizza onto parchment paper (then cut to fit) for the last rise. Then remove the parchment paper a few minutes into the cook, and swap the pizza onto a not-preheated pizza screen to finish. The crust breathes, and doesn't burn.

I've spent years trying to be a purist, before stumbling by experiment onto the above combination. It seems the ideal adaptation to this kind of oven.

I haven't mastered Pizza yet (pizza is too much effort for me to do it often), but sounds like I'm on the right track.

What I wanted to add is, I like thin crust like you get in Italy. I too use the upper grill with heat deflector on lower bracker, and pizza stone on top grill. But my temps are typically closer to 600 F. temp. What I've found is a toss of "Corn Meal" on the hot stone just before the pizza goes on works pretty well to keep from sticking. But, I like the little burnt spots on my crust. Do you get that using parchment or the screen?

I've also found the best dough for thin pizza is the "wet" dough. Can't remember where I got the recipie, some website, but thinking it must be like what Sizygies makes. Italian recipe.