the biffer

New KK23 owner

Biff, I will defer to Dennis, but I do believe you should repair areas that look like your top hat. See the line that looks like a tear in the grout? Water can get in there.

Your grout likely came in a white tube. It used to come in a little bag, thus the "cut off the corner" reference. The grout and liquid in the tube may have separated a little, so squish around a little to reincorporate.

Clean the white residue off the tiles and grout. I use Simple Green cleaner for stone surfaces. Wherever you see those rips in the grout, squeeze a little grout on your finger and rub it in in a circular motion. It will fill in the affected area. Don't worry about getting it on the tiles. Rub it in until you don't see the line anymore. Let dry completely and wipe the excess grout from the tiles with a wet cloth or paper towel. It comes right off.

I live in Texas, so the weather that my KK is exposed to is moderate. I believe the concern with any breaches to the grout is water getting in and freezing resulting in potential damage.3a39edc11529fbc7d0939ee0890c64b2.jpg

Great information...thanks for clearing that up as I could not understand what the "bag" reference mean't. I think before I apply any grout I will keep the white streak marks to easily spot where the venting holes are along with my pics. I will pickup some of the Simple Green at my local Home Depot. I live in South Florida but I am lucky to have placed the KK under the protection of the flat roof in the patio. Do you protect your KK with the a cover?

Living in Iowa, with our harsh winters, I have a cover for mine. I have one of the original Johnny Boy covers. Dennis sells them now, also made with Sunbrella, about the best stuff out there!

Being in So Fla, you should protect it from sun fading. Not sure anything will protect it from the hurricanes, though?

Living in Iowa, with our harsh winters, I have a cover for mine. I have one of the original Johnny Boy covers. Dennis sells them now, also made with Sunbrella, about the best stuff out there!

Being in So Fla, you should protect it from sun fading. Not sure anything will protect it from the hurricanes, though?

NOTHING stops a "hoocaraine". Anyhow I have the KK living under the shade of the flat roof off the patio. If we get hit I am not worrying too much about losing the KK no matter how hard the wind blows!

Help-just put together the basket splitter. Easy enough however what is the purpose of having two half moon grills when I (think) I want one side for indirect heat? Pictures of setup?Or would it be a configuration whereas I could remove the baffle and just have a complete grill THAT close to the firebox?More stupid questions to come...sorry. Also the round stone that comes with it....is this another baffle or heat diffuser or the actual baking stone? Thx.

You are on the right track. The second half-moon allows you to split the basket horizontally if you want more heating area, but don't want a full basket of charcoal. Say, you want to sear a bunch of steaks all at the same time, however, the half basket vertically wouldn't have enough surface area to cook that many steaks, but splitting it horizontally you can without having to burn through a whole basket of charcoal for such a short cook. 

The round stone is your pizza stone, not the heat deflector. The pizza stone also has a polished surface, whereas the heat deflector doesn't, in addition to being shaped like the lower grate.

Regarding lump charcoals....I will probably go with a shipment of the koko soon but I wanted to ask the members their thoughts and comments on how I can get my hands on some good quality mesquite lump-for some reason this stuff is difficult to get a hold of.

Is there a particular reason you want mesquite lump charcoal, versus using a good hardwood charcoal with mesquite chunks for smoke/flavor?

If you don't know about the Naked Whiz's charcoal database, check it out before buying charcoal that you've never used before. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Most of the mesquite charcoals got bad ratings - burn too quickly and produce lots of ash. But this one got an rare "Highly Rated" score.

bag50s.jpg

Thanks! I agree with you just using a good quality lump and adding mesquite would be the best method but for some reason I need to satisfy my curiosity by trying the mesquite lump first. Yes I m familar with the Naked Whiz reviews and it certainly does highly rate it. Next problem I have is WHERE does one buy it?

Grills should be vented max 625-650ºf     The temps have gone up as we added more aerogel  now starts about 525-550º

The vapor at 750º is much too explosive.. much too much pressure.  Will always dislodge or cause a bubble.. 

New heat deflector is grill shaped.. 

If it's polished it's a baking stone

HeatDeflector

post-2-0-60210200-1431750218_thumb.jpg

New 23 Baking Stone

post-2-0-05300300-1431750413_thumb.jpg

Thanks! I agree with you just using a good quality lump and adding mesquite would be the best method but for some reason I need to satisfy my curiosity by trying the mesquite lump first. Yes I m familar with the Naked Whiz reviews and it certainly does highly rate it. Next problem I have is WHERE does one buy it?

Looks like they might be out of business. Nothing on the web in a few years - website is down, no Facebook. Amazon lists it, but "currently unavailable." Did find one interesting thing - looks like they got into a trademark infringement legal tussle with Royal Oak back in 2011. 

Time for Plan B. 

I'll ask this here, "How easy it to roll the KK 23 on a deck? Just want to know if it's reasonably easy to  do. I'm getting the 21 but it weighs the same as the 23 and the base unit is the same as the 23. In the winter especially I will want to put it out a few feet to use it. Do you think I'll be able to do that?