bryan

Get Grilling Faster with Canned Wood

From the boys over at Amazing Ribs.

Myth # 4: Soak wood before using it

When I soaked wood chunks overnight, they gained about 3% by weight. Chips gained about 6%. I cut the chunks in half and penetration was only about 1/16". DOH! That must be why they make boats out of wood! Wood doesn't absorb much water! If you toss wet wood on a hot grill, the small amount of water just below the surface will evaporate rapidly, negating any effect of soaking. On charcoal, the wet wood cools off the coals when it is important to hold the coals at a steady temp. Learn more about the Science of Wood.

• Like 1

We all know that the white colored smoke that issues from combusting wood initially is not desirable, due to its acrid quality and the bad flavors and odors that are imparted to the meat. I am curious about what you guys do when commencing a low and slow to avoid this problem. I most often distribute small chunks of seasoning wood throughout the charcoal, so as to provide for a fairly continuous infusion of smoke over the hours of cooking. Of course, I always wait until the smoke issuing from Mabel is of a bluish hue before adding any meat. However, I am concerned about those chunks of wood that are burned after the meat is already cooking. Does each chunk go through a white smoke phase as the fire reaches that part of the coals where the chunk is situated, or does each chunk just issue blue smoke as soon as it starts burning since the fire is already established? If I am not doing it right, or if there is a better technique that does not disturb the cook every few hours, then I am all eyes and ears! I would appreciate any wisdom shares. Thanks!

Thanks, Bryan. I need more info in the pre-starting technique. 

Wood from campfire type source. Pre burned.

When through with a KK cook throw in some wood. When bad smoke burns off snuff the KK. Next cook smoke wood is in place? Just thouhts.

If we made our own lump we would have the smoke flavor we want.

If we made our own lump we would have the smoke flavor we want.

After making around 6 batches of homemade lump I would say maybe yes or maybe no.

In the process if you get a really complete burn off you have lump with almost no smoke profile. A slightly less than complete burn off and your lump will give you a nice smoke profile depending on the wood you used. The problem is regulating how complete your burn off is. Mainly your trying for the most complete burn off you can get so all your wood turns to lump.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We all know that the white colored smoke that issues from combusting wood initially is not desirable, due to its acrid quality and the bad flavors and odors that are imparted to the meat. I am curious about what you guys do when commencing a low and slow to avoid this problem. I most often distribute small chunks of seasoning wood throughout the charcoal, so as to provide for a fairly continuous infusion of smoke over the hours of cooking. Of course, I always wait until the smoke issuing from Mabel is of a bluish hue before adding any meat. However, I am concerned about those chunks of wood that are burned after the meat is already cooking. Does each chunk go through a white smoke phase as the fire reaches that part of the coals where the chunk is situated, or does each chunk just issue blue smoke as soon as it starts burning since the fire is already established? If I am not doing it right, or if there is a better technique that does not disturb the cook every few hours, then I am all eyes and ears! I would appreciate any wisdom shares. Thanks!

I use a 2 Qt Cast Iron Duth Oven as a smoke pot. I get my fire lit, load up my smoke pot with the wood du jour, heat soak my KK for about an hour, bury the smoke pot in the lit lump, put on the cook, zip everything up, and walk away. Because the smoke exits through the holes drilled in the bottom of the Dutch Oven, all the volatiles are burned by the lump and you're left with a really nice thin lie smoke from the outset.i get plenty of smoke production when the cook is coolest and smoke is easily adsorbed by the cook. Works like a charm!

ckreef - Can the burn be controled so as to only burn off the white smoke - leaving what we need as ready to use smoking wood?

That's an interesting idea.

With my setup you could possibly use smaller chunks then close down the airflow. It would probably take a little trial and error to figure out the exact right time to shut down for optimum ready to use smoke wood.

Might give this idea a try one day.

I'm with Ceramic Chef. Been using the CI Dutch Oven smoker pot for years now. Works like a charm. The only thing is getting the hang of the flour/water paste to seal the lid on airtight to force all the airflow out the holes in the bottom. Even with lots of practice, I sometimes get the texture too thin or too goopy. I put the DO smoker on as soon as I know that the coals are lit and going OK. The smoker heats up in parallel with the KK, so by the time you are ready to put on the meat, it's just beginning to smoke. And, the coolest part - you get some nice chunks of lump charcoal as a side benefit when you're done!

• Like 1

Tony, et al.

My CI smoker lid fits so well, I don't have to seal it at all! Lucky me! It's a 2 qt. Lodge. It's a wonderful little invention.

I encourage everyone to get/make one.

Bryan - I get thin blue smoke from the time it begins generating smoke! That's what's so dadgummed cool about this smoke pot!