GrillingMontana

New Chicken Wings Recipe

OK, so I tried this tonight, but not with wings, but legs and thighs. Was a chance to try out another idea that I'd read about for breading chicken - crushed pork rinds!

First the chicken was marinated overnight in a 50/50 mixture of Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce and Uncle Dougie's Wing Marinade.

post-975-0-32548900-1438564734_thumb.jpg

2 pieces were coated in each - potato flakes and plain pork rinds (pulsed in food processor)

post-975-0-62129300-1438564840_thumb.jpg  post-975-0-37134600-1438564857_thumb.jpg

On the chicken - potato flakes on the left, pork rinds on the right.

post-975-0-03936100-1438564906_thumb.jpg

Onto the KK, direct on the upper grate, 350F, with smoker pot of pecan and peach woods.

post-975-0-33433000-1438564945_thumb.jpg

After 45 minutes, ramped the KK up to 400F for the final 15 minutes. Off the grill - potato on the left and pork rinds on the right.

post-975-0-03122000-1438565019_thumb.jpg

Plated with more of that wonderful local sweet corn, angel hair with herbed oil (basil and sage from my plants) & parm, salad with homegrown tomato, and my fav summertime wine - Vinho Verde. (Note: the sourdough rolls didn't make the photo shoot.)

post-975-0-44023400-1438565129_thumb.jpg

Money shot!

post-975-0-28126700-1438565173_thumb.jpg

Conclusions: both produced crispy crusts. It was easier to coat the chicken in the pork rinds than the potato flakes, which fell off easily. The pork rinds brought a bit of bacon-y flavor, while the potato was fairly bland in taste, it was a tad gritty in texture. Being in Iowa and not Idaho, I'm giving the win to the pork rinds!

• Like 1

I agree with CC, once you hear the word bacon or baconey, the contest is over. But I'll still try the tater flakes. I wonder how it would come out with Panko bread crumbs? They have quite a crunch.

Panko has always been my "go to" breading for chicken up to now. Definitely give it a shot, as I think you'll like it, too. 

I'm thinking the tater flakes might have been better with some seasoning added. I didn't add any this time, as I want to have a clean test case. Same with the pork rinds; didn't get the BBQ flavored ones, but the plain ones. Plus, the marinade is so chocked full of flavor that you really didn't need to add anything on top of it. But, that could be the next experiment in this series - flavored breading, but dial back on the marinade, maybe just the White Sauce or Cornell style. Plus, I've got one more breading to try - crushed Ritz crackers. 

I've been known to get a package of the Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch, mix it with Panko bread crumbs, run the chicken breasts through an egg wash, then the Panko, and repeat. Gives a great crunchy coating, just the right amount of kick to it, and it's a favorite around here, especially among my guests. I have also been known to run the chicken breasts thru a butter milk wash the second time instead of the egg wash. That gives an interesting depth of flavor that leaves folks guessing.