Poochie

The Burn in

That was just 2 spots out of about 15 to 20. Some bubbled up more than others. I was told that unless you had to poke a hole with a knife or nail, you wouldn't have to grout it. I checked each spot that bubbled up and I couldn't find a hole to grout anywhere.  The whole process took around 3 to 4 hours.

Unless the pressure builds to the point where the grout is torn to create an exit, no filling is necessary.  Remember this micro venting is coming out when the material is hot/softer and under pressure.. Once it cools and shrinks any holes will be closed and also rainwater is not under pressure like the vapor is..
That being said you need to inspect your grout from time to time and maintain it as the material under it will suck up water like a sponge..

Also the temp for venting is 500- 550º  NOT 700º   This is MUCH too hot and will create much more pressure than we want..

Please vent slowly!

Unless the pressure builds to the point where the grout is torn to create an exit, no filling is necessary.  Remember this micro venting is coming out when the material is hot/softer and under pressure.. Once it cools and shrinks any holes will be closed and also rainwater is not under pressure like the vapor is..

That being said you need to inspect your grout from time to time and maintain it as the material under it will suck up water like a sponge..

Also the temp for venting is 500- 550º  NOT 700º   This is MUCH too hot and will create much more pressure than we want..

Please vent slowly!

I received an email from you (or your staff) before I received my Komodo. I'm pasting a part of the email on "venting" here. This is why in the last photo of the thermometer reading around 740 I put "got it this hot for the final 30 minutes"

"There can be bubbling which leaves white residue (this can be removed with 409 or simple green) We will need to seal this hole later to prevent moisture from re-entering. 

You can cook during this process as the material is outside the grill.  You will then want to take the grill to 550º for a half hour and raise it 50º for a half hour until you are up to 750º.  The material will migrate from around the grill to vent so this takes some time. Best to start the process in the morning and have a full bowl of charcoal to ensure you can run it as long as it takes." 

If this process has changed or I misunderstood it, please advise. I did most of the venting at 500-550 degrees.  Thanks.