Poochie

Brisket and BBQ Beans

And you don't have to get "peach" flavored paper or pink paper.  Butcher paper in general works fine. Measure out how much you think you need, then add 1 to 2 feet to that before you tear it off. Leave your probe in the meat when you wrap it because you'll never find the thick part of the flat otherwise. For briskets, when it reaches 200 is when I stick a wooden chopstick in it. 203 is a pretty safe temperature to pull it off but a brisket can be done at 195 or 210. You never know until you probe it and the skewer goes in like butter.

Will someone please give me the Reader's Digest version of the advantages of this paper crutch...

Well, an idea popularized by Franklin Barbecue. I share a strong prejudice against foiling (I did try it) but this is an empirical question. I make my living teaching logical thought (or mathematics, somewhat the same) and any idea that doesn't check out in practice is just BS. It sure looks like Poochie nailed it, I have to try this myself.

Trust me, Syz, it's a winner - based upon my own experience doing it! 

I got the pink butcher paper because it's not coated. Standard white butcher paper is coated so blood doesn't leak through. You don't want to use any paper with a coating; otherwise, it's like using foil, which most of us dislike.

I got the pink butcher paper because it's not coated. Standard white butcher paper is coated so blood doesn't leak through.

I agree about the coating. I use a brown uncoated butcher paper.

Here's a picture from Aaron Franklin's book, in case anyone might miss this point:

post-249-0-91528600-1451669952_thumb.jpg

The Importance of Wrapping Brisket

Pink/Peach Butcher Paper Roll 24" X 150'