tomahawk66

'Smokerless' smoked brisket

So, I'm stuck in my apartment in shanghai without a KK (no outdoor space) so sous vide is my go to technique.

I saw this in my local supermarket and since I have family making the 6000 mile journey to visit next week I thought I'd go crazy...

04eedf4e9084901b8950f924612f3349.jpg

It's Australian wagyu brisket, the thing was 7.7 kgs so I got a chunk off the thick end:

e8c7f67b7cc043357eda45135541e504.jpg

I like fresh cooked brisket and the'll only be 8 of us so I cut this one down smaller to a 2kg piece and a 1.5. Check out the marbling!

f7d00d8c6858ebcb42f3bcf931d5900d.jpg

I recently watched a video over at Chefsteps.com where they were cooking with Meathead from Amazingribs.com and attempting to make great BBQ in an apartment setting (no smoker or grill) so I've decided to try their brisket recipe...

767b3ea05cbe307fa24a19d7f2f08cc8.jpg

Carefully measured Smoked salt, liquid smoke and sugar went into water to make an equilibrium brine

1559d6cbdb6155232e1a1f5540444853.jpg

I've had mixed results with liquid smoke in the past but I'm hoping the long brine time will make a difference on this cook. It's due to take between 5-7 days but I could probably get away with less as the brisket is vacuum sealed with the brine

8b0238d878f2e26e78b45ed7208bd0b4.jpg

Watch out for the update next week when I pull the brisket out of the brine and prep for a 24 hour sous vide cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And for those of you that are interested, due to the cost of flying in Australian beef, import duties and the like plus the premium paid for wagyu: this little hunk of tasty beef went for 200 dollars (about 25 bucks per pound.)... And I thought brisket was supposed to be a cheap cut... 😜

I guess at one time brisket was a cheap cut, but not since I have been buying it! Anxious to see how this turns out, you must be going through KK withdrawal.

Especially here quality beef is crazy price. This Wagyu grade is usually thinly sliced and cooked in hot pot. The person behind the counter thought I was mad buying a big chunk!

I've yet to buy a KK (as I haven't space for it yet...) but will as soon as I can!

what SV are you using? I keep dancing with the idea of getting one but have yet to pull the plug.

Do you have a KK somewhere else and living somewhere now for work??

You're story has intrigued me lol, I just learning of where people are from and live etc.

I've got an Anova immersion circulator that I put in a beer cooler for bigger cooks:

cc1758e0fdfb0076825a115e994d43e9.jpg

I'm tempted to get a 2nd as they've released a wifi version and I use mine for meal planning as much as gourmet meals and the idea off hitting 'play' wirelessly when I get off work and coming home to dinner is great (although my wife is on maternity leave so she's acting as my remote!)

I can highly recommend them, especially as they've tweaked the design (my first broke after 6 months and they replaced mine at no cost - even the shipping to Singapore!).

No KK yet. I live in a small 2 bed apartment with my wife and 1 month old baby girl in downtown shanghai (been based here for work for the last 7 years) and have no outdoor space. I've just taken a new job in Singapore and will relocate in November: perfect (if you like heat and humidity!) weather all year around so I'm looking to get a place with a yard or roof garden and put a KK there - even got the nod from the wife... Just need to choose a colour and model... Oh yeah: and find a home to put it!!

Tomahawk - this is gonna be a cook for the ages! I can't wait to see this. I've run a lot of food through my Anova, but never anything like a brisket. I can't wait to see the money shots on this cook!

That is one fabulous looking brisket. Talk about marbling! This should be some kind of juicy.

To be fair: once I get a KK I don't see myself doing this brisket any other way than low&slow over smoke in the KK!

I do see myself doing prime rib, steaks, etc with the Anova and searing on the KK however!

I just learning of where people are from and live etc.

That is one thing I like about this forum. The members are a very diverse group living all over the world. Makes for some interesting twists on food.

I even think the members living in the states are the minority. Most forums it's the other way around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tomahawk - my Anova is a wonderful tool for steaks, chops, fillets, etc. I love finishing those cuts with a smoking hot sear on Beauty! Wonderful flavor! Lately I've taken to searing first, then the Sous Vide, and then finishing on the KK. That gives a slightly different flavor that I really like.

And how is that precious little baby girl? Give our best to your Bride. And again, congrats to both of you!

Tomahawk - my Anova is a wonderful tool for steaks, chops, fillets, etc. I love finishing those cuts with a smoking hot sear on Beauty! Wonderful flavor! Lately I've taken to searing first, then the Sous Vide, and then finishing on the KK. That gives a slightly different flavor that I really like.

And how is that precious little baby girl? Give our best to your Bride. And again, congrats to both of you!

Thanks CC! SWMBO is doing great, we are getting out a lot with little Angie who is growing fast, she's already nearly 24 inches that puts her in the 97th percentile for hight!

Pre and post searing? I assume only with real thick cuts? How does the flavor profile differ from the traditional post sear?

Tomahawk - kids grow up way too fast. Take lots of pics because you'll turn around and next thing you know, she's grown and gone.

Pre- and post- sous vide sears have a different taste than just post-sous vide in the following manner. I think searing Pre-sousvide gives a nice crust and the taste of that wonderful Maillard reaction. It's that taste that permeates the cook during the sous vide process. Then at the end, you get to resurrect that seared taste and the seared crust with a post-sous vide sear. I'm beginning to think it's the best of both worlds.

I use this technique on just about everything I normally sear irrespective of size. All you need is a blazing fire for a quick sear at the beginning and the end.