tomahawk66

'Smokerless' smoked brisket

So... Out came the brisket:

15af78c28d78df542aaa34e3107ca3ce.jpg

On went the rub:

b2a0732dc8de04d6b5fa4ff4de27e7ee.jpg

Into the oven for 4 hours at around 125C but we had power outages on and off all night 😡

1db12056aa7abc73e96b90fe71ff0037.jpg

Consensus was "most amazing smoky and moist brisket ever" but perhaps even less rub next time as its uber salty:

0f70b20f276fa6d4e8f8d049cc7af565.jpg

Moneyshot:

7286222f1cb31e01f55a47a8c0ac5ec4.jpg

Slaw was home made and vinegar based and creamed spinach went down well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That brisket looks delicious. The trimmings make it a nice colorful meal. How was the tenderness of the brisket? The reason I'm asking is that for some reason a brisket will be more tender if you slice it  against the grain instead of with it like you did.  Of course on some briskets, the grain goes one way on the flat and a different way on the point. But since you got the good compliments on it, I'd say you have a winner. Good job!

Hi Poochie, all meat will be more tender if you slice it against the grain. Seriouseats.com has a great scientific write up on why. My understanding is that with the grain the muscle fibers are long and your teeth still need to cut through them, whereas against the grain you cut the muscle fibers with the knife and not your teeth.

The truth is, with the rub and all I couldn't remember which way the grain went!!

Double up on Poochie's tip! Learned that one a long time ago. I was in a friendly brisket competition this weekend and one of the entries sliced their's with the grain, while it was tasty, it was like chewing jerky! His slices were also too thick, which didn't help either. Surprisingly, he didn't come in last. 

I'll bet!

Wagyu is just too damned expensive in this country, even the domestic stuff from Idaho. But, the local grass-fed prime is pretty damned good too!!!

All imported beef is crazy expensive here in China, and the local stuff isn't up to snuff so I went crazy... This piece was going for 60 bucks a pound 😱