tinyfish

Smoker pot

I finally got around to making my smoker pot. I bought an enamelled cast iron pot to replace the smoker pot (thanks Bosco got it from Canadian Tire).

I remembered Dennis said you don't need that many holes so I put 6 then I remembered he said 3...oops.

post-2313-0-28306100-1442070975_thumb.jp

So I filled it up with some sugar maple for my Montreal smoked meat going on tonight.

post-2313-0-95559500-1442071054_thumb.jp

So is that it? Do I have the wood in correctly or are the pieces too big or small?

Do you have a lid? Some of us glue the lid on each time with flour water paste; others trust a tight fit. I also worry about enamel, that the heat stress will cause it to flake. I recommend pure cast iron (funny metals such as galvanized are toxic).

I have a lid and this is regular cast iron.

I have a lid and this is regular cast iron.

Good! No lid in your picture, and you said enameled in your post. Just checking.

The wood and chunk size is a matter of experiment, as is technique for getting the pot going in time. I usually light the charcoal under the pot with a weed burner, heating the pot at the same time. With a friend's cooker, I needed to heat up the cooker way in advance, so I heated the smoke pot in his gas grill before moving it to the cooker when I put on the meat.

I actually like chips best, apple, hickory, pecan, or a mix. The meat is most receptive to the smoke early in the cook. Though some say one wants smoke throughout, the telltale smoke ring is an artificial token one manipulates early in the cook. Big chunks last longer.

First try with the smoker pot was not a success. I could not get to temperature with the smoker pot in place with my fan. My fan is from my bullet smoker and it may be to small only 6.5CFM, the BBQ Guru Pit Viper is a 10 CFM fan.

I went to sleep at 2:30am thinking I would get to my set temp of 230f but when I woke up it was only 201f. I removed the smoker pot and the wood chunks inside were barely charred. Oh well iguess I have to do another brisket to practice and buy the bigger fan.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but this is the type of thing you do with a gas grill. Lot of contraptions to produce smoke flavor. Try small chunks directly on the hot lump. Want it to last a while? Make a "fuse" by putting small chunks end to end. I've yet to have a lack of smoke flavor on any cook I've done.

If you want to stick with the pot, I really don't think 10 CMF vs 6.5 is the deal killer. Had the smoker been at 230 for a while? Like an hour before you turned in? Good luck getting it work. I'm sure people with experience with this pot method will chime in.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but this is the type of thing you do with a gas grill. Lot of contraptions to produce smoke flavor. Try small chunks directly on the hot lump. Want it to last a while? Make a "fuse" by putting small chunks end to end. I've yet to have a lack of smoke flavor on any cook I've done.

If you want to stick with the pot, I really don't think 10 CMF vs 6.5 is the deal killer. Had the smoker been at 230 for a while? Like an hour before you turned in? Good luck getting it work. I'm sure people with experience with this pot method will chime in.

The reason behind this type of smoker pot is that is only produces thin blue smoke right away no waiting for the white smoke to clear. A few forum member use a smoker pot so I thought I would try it. Always looking for ways to spend money. There are a few threads on this forum regarding smoker pots. If I am correct this smoker pot set up would be similar to making charcoal.

interesting concept.  I would like to know more about this set up as I have an old cast iron dutch oven that I would like to try

Here is the thread that I got the idea from. Dennis had even planned to make a tube of sorts, I wonder what came of that.

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/5246-a-dutch-oven-smoke-pot/?hl=%2Bdutch+%2Boven+%2Bsmoke

I've used the smoker pot for quite some time ever since Dennis told me about it when I first placed my order. Thanks to Syzygies original post on this technique, I've done dozen of cooks with my pot. I've never had trouble getting the pot to produce smoke. Of course, I always heat soak TheBeast for about a hour before the cook, so my fire is very well established.

When I lay in my charcoal, I always create a well about the size of the pot. That well is where I ignite my fire. Then when I put my cook on, I place the pot in the well with a well established fire, then I move my heat deflector over the post, put my drip pan on top of the deflectors, them the main grate and then the cook. Within about 5 minutes I've got thin blue smoke that smells heavenly.

I prefer using chunks in my pot. During a cook this weekend, I used a combination of peach and hickory chunks. I also fill in the interstitial spaces with pellets, in this case hickory pellets. A good shake with the lid on gets everything settled nicely.

My 2 Qt, Lodge CI Dutch Oven holds just enough chunks and pellets to last 6 hours or so. I've found that seems to lay on quite enough smoke that everyone is happy. If I want more smoke, I chill my cook in the freezer compartment at least while TheBeast heat soaks. Cold meat condenses much more smoke than a warm cook. More smoke condensed equates to a smoker tasting cook.

bosceaux, I know you've seen this technique. I've posted it at the KG site as well as here. I'll post the smoke pot as part of a weekend cook I'll post tomorrow. The 2 qt. Lodge Dutch Oven seems to be the optimal size for this. It fits quite nicely in the belly of TheBeast

Ok help me understand this please.  I have a 5 qt. dutch that I am not using anymore that I would like to try

First of all what size bit to drill??

Dennis says to only use 3 holes in the bottom at the centre.  Do I drill the lid too?

Also, where does the smoke come out if the holes are only in the bottom??

bosceaux - I think you'll find 5 Qts much much too big. My smoke pot only has 1/8" holes in the bottom. Don't drill the lid. The theory here is that the smoke is ejected down through the bottom of the pot into the burning coals thus burning up all the volatiles that can make smoke taste so funky. You get thin blue from the very beginning.

I hope this answers your questions.

Mine has only 3 holes, each was drilled with a 3/32" bit.

My Texsport model is out of stock a lot, but it was the cheapest one that I could find. Also, don't get one with legs on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003K6WG1W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

And yes, the cool thing is, when the cook is over, you open the lid to find nice pieces of charcoal that you just toss into the basket for the next cook!!

I picked up a 2 qt lodge before my sons hockey game. We had to head to Niagara Falls 45 min drive so I hit the bass pro and grabbed it for 36.00.

I'll drill it this week I hope

We just love spending other peoples money.

Bosco how about a temperature control system/pid.

Yesterday I went and replaced my fan on my set to the BBQ Guru Pit Viper. In my setup the fan was for a bullet smoker and I couldn't get the fan to sit right in the BBQ Guru port no matter what I did. So slend money and buy a new one. The Pit Viper kicks butt, super strong compared to my old fan.