Lannoos

Best way to Heat Soak for Low n Slow

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
So pics of food the next time. I was a tad intimidated by all of your gorgeous shots I have seen. But I do admit that they did look pretty decent.

I will use the following advice on the next smoke.
a) chip the wood and soak it.
B) Keep the airflow to an absolute minimum, vents almost closed I think.
c) start the char in a small spot and slowly let it gain heat. I used about a 1/2" cube of surefire starter from my survival kit. Might have to rethink that one
d) be patient.. lol, so easy to say.

So here she is. 

post-2571-0-30713700-1452829166_thumb.jp

post-2571-0-79309400-1452829177_thumb.jp

I agree with what everyone said about the vents. By 200* you should have it shut down to 1/4 turn top vent and just a hair line crack in the bottom. I also thought way to big a piece of smoking wood. Raw wood tends to burn hotter and you have less control. If you want that much smoking wood break it up into 3 or 4 smaller pieces spread a little bit apart so they are all not burning at the same time.

Great looking KK - Love the color.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 1

Don't bother soaking your wood, if wood soaked up water it would sink. Temperature control is airflow, pure and simple. Stick with lighting a small amount of fire, and controlling it with your vents, realizing that it's easy to control a fire as the temp goes up, but about the only way for the temp to go down is to put the fire out. <br />

<br />

<br />

Rob

• Like 1

Thank you.. thinking I might should name this thing.

So yeah, Dennis and his team did a marvelous job on this design. The SS side tables are reral nice, actually, everything about this device exudes quality. The grates, double drip pan and the stones are amazing. In my burn-in process, I sprayed the SS grates and pans and rib racks down with olive oil and let them season in the cooker as it rose to the 500 range and sat burning away the glue fumes. They all look to be taking on the color of one of our seasoned SS DeBuyer cookware in just 2 heatings. I love a well seasoned piece of cookware.

I am itching to start another cook. My wife asked me to do a couple half chickens she is marinating. So I get to have another shot at the temp control today or tomorrow. We are getting a little drizzle again here today so we will see.