Fetzervalve

First cook......

I will intend to add pictures in the next few hours (days?)

So, I learned a few lessons the hard way and some I have not yet learned.

I fired up last night around 7:30 and planted a 6.5 lb shoulder/butt/whatever the label said 'round 8. I was using the Elder Ward process thanks to a tip from P-chop. I figured it would be done this morning sometime, early. I have a RediCheck Maverick, I was all set. I thought I had the temp fairly well under control around 10 - 10:30 and went to bed. Knowing the Maverick had my back I slept well, for about 45 minutes...when the beeping started. :shock: Low temp, I got up and started making some adjustments, temp rising, back to bed, for another, not long enough time. (Details herein may be hazy, as the night wore on my mind started to atrophy).... More beeping etc. I finally looked in the draft door and saw a very small spot of glow, so I at some point I shot the MAPP gas torch through the draft door to get things going again. Finally, I opened it and started pulling things out, I found that all the lump inside the ring (I now find out the ring is for small/short cooks :smt102 ) had pretty much burned up, the lump outside the ring didn't ever really get any action. So, around 2AM I was adding lump, still not realizing the ring was part of the problem (a operators manual would have saved me? perhaps :smt021 ). I hit with the MAPP gas again got things going and went back inside. I sat at the computer and instead of searching for a solution on the forum, I just surfed for a while and watched the Maverick. I made one more adjustment and hit the sheets. I was able to sleep from 3AM till wake up time 6AM. I went immediately to the KK and as you may have guessed, I needed to add more lump, so I did. Off to work, where I finally had a chance to search for help (shhhh). I then discovered the purpose of the "ring" ARRGH. At lunch time, I pulled the damned ring out a stuffed more lump in, and dialed up the temp a touch. My wife called when she got home - "it's beeping" - oh, crap, what now? It's 206 - YIPPEE, pull it out, wrap it up, I'll be home in an hour!

If this turns out you'll all have to try this new method, I'll call it the coaster method ('cause it you graphed the temperature of the meat over the last 17 plus hours it would make a helluva good roller coaster!) :smt026

Lesson learned: throw the ring in the garage for L&S

Lesson not yet learned: how to control the temp with any accuracy... It was windy and I had lump shortage problems (due to the ring making my usable lump very small) most of the cook, perhaps I had lots working against me, including myself. Any advice on the temp, I think I read that the draft door is best as a larger adjustment and the dome for fine tuning, does that fit with how everyone operates?

:smt015 Tired and ready for some pulled pork... pics to follow.

Is this enough lump? It sure wasn't with that ring in there! I thought I would only need around 10 hours.

PA030025.jpg

Fire in the hole!

PA030027.jpg

Pork on!

PA030030.jpg

Looks kinda nasty - It was pretty good, a little dry I think. Too many hours..... wait till next time.

PA040001.jpg

The little ring in the middle makes a good stand to set a hot grill or heat deflector on when pulled out of the cooker. :lol: I don't use it for cooking. Just load the basket for a cook and when you finish the unused lump will be saved for the next cook. The KK is very easy on lump usage. The best cooker I have every used. :D:D:D:D I do use a Guru for overnights that makes for a good nights sleep.

Try again

I think if you try again without the ring you will have no problem whatsoever. With guru or without (I never use one). The main factor in the whole process is fuel and you obviously did not have enough. Load up the basket full to the top of the grate, don't worry about having too much as you can reuse this stuff. Lower draft door should only be open a tad. Top damper shut all the way and then backed off a half turn. Be sure that your fire is going well before making these adjustments. Keep at 250-300 for about 30 mins then fine tune down. This will ensure the coals are well lit. You will be an expert in no time. KK is very user friendly, best around.

FV, sorry about not being more in-depth vis your fire control. for low and slow cooks, esp overniters, there's a few things you should consider...

1) i put a full bag (about 8-10 lbs) of lump in the cooker; usually only go thru about a third of it, but it helps me sleep...

2) light your fire from the TOP of the pile for low and slow. fire always burns hotter lit from the bottom. for low and slow, let your fire burn down thru the fuel, and draw it's air up (diffused) thru the lump.

3) if you use tip #1 above, you'll PROBABLY have to place your pizza stone/heat shield on the lower grill instead of the arms on the charcoal basket UNLESS you have one of those fancy new-and-improved models that dennis just came up with.

again, my apologies for putting you off and not giving you any info personally. sometimes, i just forget that some of the stuff i do as second nature isn't the same for others. sorry!

gotta say tho, that porcine meteorite on the tray looks like you got it right! nice! why i love pork butts; very forgiving and a great first overnite! you should be proud!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've never done anything like this before, so I guess I really don't know what to expect.

'Chop, don't think a thing about it, I thought I had spent plenty of time on this board and others to feel like a knew what I was doing.... your help is appreciated but don't think for a minute that my boneheadedness is in any way because you didn't babysit me more. :D I know what you mean about the heat deflector and the bottom grill. I had as much lump as I could get under the deflector on the basket.

Do you guys generally cook on the accessory upper grill, leaving the lower available for a heat deflector, and the main for a drip pan?

I haven't received my accessories yet - how long does that take?

how long does that take?

I haven't received my accessories yet - how long does that take?

The Tel-Tru thermometers were back ordered and we have been promised up they will go out on Oct 10th..

Your gas and upper has already arrived in Atlanta and will be sent out to you any minute now.. Your 3/8" are being sent from Indo.

:wink::wink: