ckreef

Sear Then 250*

After the Sear Then Bake thread I wanted to see just what was easily possible. This was chicken and dumplings (Bisquick drop dumplings). Sear the chicken then finish the dumplings phase in a DO at 250*

Started with a quick high heat sear on some chicken.

73aec4999fc3cbd99e4fd349293f945a.jpg

I then put in the diffuser, lower grate in the high position and my DO with the gravy and vegetables. Set the vents for 250* and waited it out. (top slightly less than 1/2 turn, bottom at 3/8")

12b19e8ae37979e98f040a0a4a75d306.jpg

After about 40 minutes it was sitting right at 240*. I let it sit there for another 30 minutes. I then added the cut up chicken and the drop dumplings leaving the DO top off.

d5fbdc4a46ee4ae9431d0fa727dc0c52.jpg

The end of the dumplings first phase. I then put the top back on and finished up the cook. No real money shot as this was really all about the technique not the cook.

c5109b77ff064dd08eb63a0686a5b02f.jpg

A forward sear followed by 250* was easily accomplished. I could have just as easily stopped it at 225*. I'm going to use this method on a few different cooks in the future. Pulled beef street Tacos come to mind, or possibly a really thick steak instead of doing a reverse sear.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 1

Rak, note the ck said he did a quick sear so I suspect the whole KK was not heat sunk which explains why he was able to drop the temp rather quickly. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.;)

Also I suspect dropping the diffuser in sucks up a bit of heat as well - at least 30-40 I would think - has anybody run that test???

You both are right.

This method is a quick sear and the KK never got to heat soak status. Then when you put in the diffuser that sucks up a bunch of heat. This is a really easy no brainer method for doing a forward sear followed by a low-n-slow.

I am now a fan of forward sears whether done on a single KK or across multiple KK's. Forward sears just gives you more control of the final IT compared to a reverse sear.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT