bryan

Armadillo Balls

There is no record of any problem with Armadillo meat in the US.

1 pound cooked armadillo meat, ground
1 egg
2 tablespoons minced celery
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Flour
Oil

In a bowl:
Mix together the meat, egg, celery, onion, parsley, salt and pepper.
Form into 1 inch balls and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a skillet:
Heat 3/4 inch of oil.
Roll the meat balls in the flour.
Fry the meat balls until brown.
Serve and Enjoy!

There is no record of any problem with Armadillo meat in the US.

I remember specific stories about Vietnamese refugees settling in Texas. They spotted the armadillo as a good match for an animal they hunted and ate in Viet Nam, and ran into the problem of armadillos carrying leprosy.

Without question, Armadillos carry leprosy, and the genetic similarities between their strains and human strains would not be possible without interspecies infection. The rate is low (95% of people are immune), and some of the record is putative, but I wouldn't characterize the situation as "no record". The CDC has a measured warning:

http://www.cdc.gov/leprosy/exposure/armadillos.html

Here is the NYTimes report on the genetic study:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110501134801/http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/health/28leprosy.html?_r=1

Using genetic sequencing machines, researchers were able to confirm that about a third of the leprosy cases that arise each year in the United States almost certainly result from contact with infected armadillos. The cases are concentrated in Louisiana and Texas, where some people hunt, skin and eat armadillos.

I don't see any proof quotes or proof.

Could not find the NYTimes quoted report on the genetic study.

Do you have proof of that about a third of the leprosy cases that arise each year in the United States almost certainly result from contact with infected armadillos?

Do you have proof the genetic similarities between their strains and human strains would not be possible without interspecies infection.

Just because its on the web or in the NY Times it must be true. Please quote a direct Science connection. Pressed ham is not made by a pig sitting down.

I don't see any proof quotes or proof.

For the record, here is the refereed journal article:

Probable Zoonotic Leprosy in the Southern United States

I believe that if one is aware of a plausibly legitimate health question, one should flag it whether one believes the conclusion or not. You may have misread my position. As a mathematician, I recognize the form of statistical reasoning used by such a study, and I find that form of reasoning to be sound. However, studies can be wrong. My position is simply that each person who might consume armadillo meat should reach their own conclusions on the health risks.

The poker player in me wonders why you lead with "There is no record..." Me thinks it's a tell, and I want to shove all my chips to the center of the table!