ckreef

Lump Experiment - Smalls

I have been saving small lump pieces in a separate bin for a while now. I usually use them in my Yakatori grill but that's a summer thing and this is winter so my bin is getting full. Let's do an experiment to clear out the bin.

I think small pieces of lump work just as good as any other for both low-n-slow and high heat. We will try to test this theory.

A bin full of smalls. This is mostly RO (go figure - LOL), with 75% virgin and 25% used.

8344dcf222c0cea25088c28174fc1190.jpg

I started by cleaning out Cassiopeia (19" KK).

d941c5772e24de95f51dd001cdaf9d82.jpg

I then dumped straight from the bin into the lump basket.

8347aa90a2fb2ec266fb147d11ac8e33.jpg

This is what is left in the bin.

ecee05c4a409ccabc5f69e37db01d863.jpg

The first 3 hours are at 215*. I then opened the vents and went another 3 1/2 hours at 300*

ab10220f978f8ff87fc6630e42d9bf52.jpg

Check back tomorrow night for an update and cook #2. Will keep going with this until the bin is empty.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I usually sort my lump then use the larger and medium pieces dead center.  When I'm cooking at high temps, I pour some of the smalls around the very outside of the basket. This way they are burned but do not stop the airflow.  I'm in the process of making some small lump charcoal basket inserts to prevent smalls from falling out the sides of the basket.

What he said. Dennis mentioned quite a while back to put the fines (really small pieces) around the perimeter of the charcoal basket after you fill it with the normal size pieces. This has worked great for me as they burn right along side the big chunks and like he said, don't inhibit air flow. And Ckreef, those pieces look normal for Royal Oak and I have a tub of them too. They're great for any type of cook.

I'm in the process of making some small lump charcoal basket inserts to prevent smalls from falling out the sides of the basket.

That would be great. I always thought the basket needed twice as many SS rings around it for that very reason.

And Ckreef, those pieces look normal for Royal Oak and I have a tub of them too. They're great for any type of cook.

Yes I agree that is fairly normal for RO but the world seems to like the bigger lump pieces that the high end lump gives them. They also want to blame the small pieces for temperature control issues. I only sorted lump so I had smaller pieces for the Yakatori grill. I'm a dump straight into the lump basket kind of guy and never worry about airflow (in both my previous Akorns w/ lump grate and now the KK's w/ lump basket)

Temperature control issues always comes down to air flow and with a basket or lump grate those issues go away compared to plates with holes.

I knew before I even started how this experiment is going to end. I've decided to make this a more interesting experiment by running it in no stir mode. Don't stir the leftover lump just dump more on top cook after cook. I've done a no stir experiment in the past with an Akorn Jr and had no issues and I suspect I won't have issues doing it in Cassiopeia.

Day 2 of the lump experiment.

Here is what is leftover from day 1

8a79fa0d70accad93f9613519a3f03af.jpg

I didn't stir it. I just dumped some more straight from the bin.

f68ee1d066ee495f27abe3050b5350ff.jpg

All ready to go.

1dc661b2ec44dbf34a8cb09de67edd28.jpg

This burn was about 2 hours total time at 380*

4d31c940199e800777062a1c44e4bc37.jpg

Mrs skreef is working on cook number three as I type this. It's her January guru challenge cook so I'm not allowed in the kitchen - LOL

I always just dump my lump in. I never stir. I never sort. My airflow becomes an issue when it is time to clean the ash. I will dump out lump occasionally if i want to pack with coco char. After a coco char cook I just dump more lump on top. The simplicity is the KK's best feature. I love that I can throw some ribs on and come back 5 hours later knowing they are done to perfection.

Sometimes I fuss more just for fun or show, but really it doesn't add much. IMHO