wilburpan

Easter dinner: rack of lamb, and a near disaster

We made a rack of lamb for Easter dinner. It was a classic preparation.

Start with a rack of lamb.

26054693176_d783f296d2_c.jpg

I made a rub by combining fresh chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, and a little bit of red pepper flakes.

26080606215_004b2da473_c.jpg

I made it into a paste by mashing it in a mortar and pestle. I also added a little olive oil.

25988085482_1ebd3750bb_c.jpg

I can’t emphasize how good this technique is. You’ll extract much more flavor from your herbs and aromatics with this technique compared to a food processor. And it’s way easier to clean.

I spread the paste on the fat side of the rack, and found that I didn’t make enough.

26014274081_76be198fac_c.jpg

So I made more.

26080610885_9d64e1bca9_c.jpg

I put the rack in Smaug, indirect at 300ºF. I left it there until the internal temperature hit 125ºF.

26014277481_9a410faef6_c.jpg

Then I took out the deflector, put the searing grate in, let the fire get real hot, and direct grilled the rack along with some asparagus. Note that I put the bones over the asparagus. This was to keep them from burning, without having to go through wrapping the bones with foil.

25988091492_cedb64b9b7_c.jpg

This is the part where I had a near disaster. I tried grilling with the fat side down, and then the rosemary/thyme/garlic crust started peeling off. I managed to salvage most of it.

Here are the money shots. My wife made mashed potatoes and roasted cauliflower.

25475862514_10200fa4e5_c.jpg

25475861104_4a0c5d7149_c.jpg

It was delicious. I actually think I could have let the IT go to 130ºF. I like beef medium rare, but I think lamb is a bit better if cooked to medium.

For next time, I could use any tips for getting the paste to stay on the fat side better.

• Like 1

How about a forward sear, pull the rack, spread the paste then finish it off in the 350* range. This way you're also keeping the paste from burning. I prefer the forward sear anyway.

Either way delicious looking meal.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Wilbur , your lamb looks very good. I made rack of lamb as well, sorry had a big group and no time for pics. However I did the lamb sous-vide first, rubbed with a mixture of olive oil, parsley, white wine, garlic, rosemary, thyme, dry mustard, salt and pepper. To finish the lamb I seared it on a very hot, 550° grill. It came out wonderfully and everyone enjoyed it.

Easter_Dinner.jpg

Edited by kjs
My daughter's boyfriend did take a photo, so I decided to update my post.