DennisLinkletter

Huh? 21" Hi-Cap now a 22 Hi-Cap?

12 hours ago, madbrayniak said:

I'm hoping we will see some options like the dojoe and pizza porta for the KK soon since those are getting popular. I bake lots of sourdough on my BGE with a little apple wood chips and want to adapt the recipe to thin crust pizza...

The KK pizza stone, which is a specially formulated material for baking (not the same as the deflector) and very thick, on the upper grate is already available and from what I can gather from the video of the "DoJoe" it seems to be trying to catch up to the KK, just like the JoeTisserie option was in response to the built in rotisserie bearings of the KK. Same with the pizza porta for the BGE. Just sayin'

Search this Forum and you'll see quite a few posts of pizza cooks and bread baking on the stone. Some folks like a steel for baking thin crust pizza, which is another option (not sold by Dennis). 

• Like 1

Also, some of us like to use steam to bake sourdough in the KK. Do a search here and you’ll see how it is done. Try that in a Glazed pot kamado and watch the felt gasket melt off. In short, the KK as is outclasses any of the glazed pot add ons for baking.

Edited by Pequod

Heylo..
Simply put there is no meaningful difference in size between the  23" Ultimate and 22" The Beast's main grates.

There is nothing that the 23" can cook that the 22" can not.. The bucket/base is 2' tall which means that you have the same distance from the charcoal basket to the main grate too..  Why would you want to leave a big hole open while baking pizza?  Commercial pizza ovens have doors.. except the big dome Italian type that take a half cord of wood every time you fire it up.

I use steam when baking bread as well and my gasket in the BGE needs to be replaced...I want to try cold smoking the dough as it proofs for pizza as well.

My method for steam.has been a cast iron pan preheated in the grill and then adding water. I don't recall where but I saw an idea to put a chain in the pan and then use ice. I'm assuming the chain let's the ice melt and heat the water before it let's the cast iron crack. This is something that im going to try.

Wood fired pizza in the brick ovens with open faces are popular here right now and for thin crust they are great. Something like the pizza porta or dojoe look nice for maybe a little better heat retention for cooking more pizza faster rather than having to wait for the dome to warm back up but I have seen some build their pizza on wax paper and that makes switching out pies really easy and fast.

Time to start saving my change for the 22" TT!

I just spent money on a new band/hinge assembly and going to try the woo ring from ceramic grill store to see if that helps with anything, pretty small cost for now.